Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Hello all, info on whitewater in Utah needed, any help would be great!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello all, info on whitewater in Utah needed, any help would be great!

Post by StokedToBeHere on Sun 05 Feb 2012, 11:46 am

I recently moved here from Hood River Oregon and am itching to paddle something, anything.... I'm a good paddler and have floated lots of classics in the NW area (Green Truss, Little White, Feather River, NF Trinity, many more) Looking for some fun stuff to get on, preferably in the day trip range from Salt Lake. However, if its worth it I'll commit to up to a 5-6hr drive from the SLC area.
Please help the new guy!!

Dax Kirkwood
503-860-4562

Cheers!

StokedToBeHere

Paddling Since : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello all, info on whitewater in Utah needed, any help would be great!

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 05 Feb 2012, 1:07 pm

Hi,
Check Eddyflower.com for run descriptions and you'll see the gauges are shown too. Most everything isn't running but a town run in Provo (on the Provo river) and a silly little front surf wave in Ogden. Welcome to the 2nd driest state in the union. Smile

Malad in ID is running, some intrepid souls hit that up last weekend... drive up to the Payettes for some low water north fork, or check the Murtaugh gauge.

In short, if you want to hit the goods, you gotta drive a bit at the moment.

The Utah Whitewater Club has some good trips lining up. check our calendar for updates. utahwhitewaterclub.org we are also have a wave pool night this coming Sat evening from 7pm-10pm in Layton.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 05 Feb 2012, 1:09 pm

and... if you want to stay in paddling shape, we have kayak polo every Tuesday at 6pm in Ogden at the Marshall White Pool..
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:20 am

As Jeff was saying... most of the boating here is a drive away. For now, all I know that's flowing are... the Green - 2800 cfs, Colorado - 2800 cfs, and Murtaugh - 3300. And I would do your research first, but I heard the Colorado has banks iced out about 20 feet in spots... maybe even an ice bridge too.

Maybe if someone knows the winter conditions of these, they could mention here... as I am quite curious myself.

Now... Murtaugh is an all-day-er, for us Utahns, and a pretty long one at that. It's 4 hrs from SLC, and about a 4 hour run too, which makes for a 14 hr day if you stop for dinner. Also, I'm not sure if Murtaugh ices over, but... it is a great class IV pool drop with some fun creek-style moves, and a few decent surf waves (depending on flow).

So... until spring, there's just the polo/pool sessions, and an occasional trip, so... keep checking in here, because we do have day trips here and there, but unfortunately, they come and go pretty quick.

Now come spring, there's some great runs in the greater salt lake area. If you're a solid class IV (creek) boater, you should try Scrambled eggs on the Weber, Ogden Narrows, Bridal Veil on the Provo, American Fork, and about anywhere on the Logan. And if I remember correctly, all have solid IV/IV+ sections... and can be pretty intense in the right flow, and there's even a class IV+/V- on Logan (staircase).

EDIT: You could also look into the Payette (6 hrs from SLC), and the Snake (5 hrs from SLC), which are both pretty low right now.

Anyway, Hope that helps and Welcome to Utah, Smile

-Dave

Dave

Paddling Since : 09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waterbaby on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm

Hey,

I'm new to Salt Lake too and am looking for people to paddle with. I'm a classs III-IV paddler, mostly been paddling in West Virginia for the last few years. Would love to get on some water in the spring...or a warm day in February.

~Jessica

859-322-8871
waterbaby

Paddling Since : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 5:38 pm

Welcome Dax! Welcome Jessica!
Just FYI, in this hacker-prone internet era, there are scammer programs that can scan the internet for phone numbers, which can result in spam phone calls. It may help to change a digit to letters, like change "1 to one", or something like that. O instead of 0 for example.

Dax, I guess you know you moved from a paddling mecca to... how to say this... "not exactly a paddling mecca" :-); although we did have an EPIC spring last year, with flood levels in the Ogden, Weber, Provo, for months, and rare high water in some Utah gems, Joes Valley (Cottonwood creek), LFH-Main Huntington, and others. But this winter is very low snow so far, and the spring won't be the same if it doesn't start dumping!! You will most likely become very familiar with the 6 hour drive to the NF Payette once it starts running :-).

Jessica, decent III-IV is easier to find around here than V. Spring flows are dam released on many runs like the Ogden below Pineview, Provo's BridalVeil, and Joes Valley (tends to go later, like June). So if the reservoirs are full, we can have some great paddling; but there is no guarantee those runs will flow at all; and if they go, it may be for a short time, so get them when they go. The Logan river up in Logan has some really good undammed, creeky III-IV; not many boaters up there, but I love that canyon.

As mentioned, Eddyflower is a good source of local run descriptions.
http://eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx?StateId=2#/home

The Weber canyon's Scrambled Eggs run is one of the few that can respond to heavy rain. Its a rocky class IV, often with a dam portage, not the most scenic, along the interstate, but it can bump up for a few hours with a rainstorm, then its the only class IV this side of Westwater.

Dave, the Moab Daily ice is coming and going with the cold, according to a mountainbuzz.com thread.

Cheers
Bill
wasatchbill at comcast dot net
8O1 6O8 1357

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

As of yesterday, Westwater is totally free from ice so maybe Moab would be to . Someone went down it and all is clear. No permit fee until March I believe.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismokayaker on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

i'd love to hook up with a crew getting out on the river soon! Pretty much anything . just gettin back in the water!
chrismokayaker

Paddling Since : 4eva

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum