Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Lower 6th Water (this Sunday Oct 23)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lower 6th Water (this Sunday Oct 23)

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 7:35 pm

Last edited by wasatchbill on Sat 23 Oct 2010, 11:03 pm; edited 5 times in total

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lower 6th Water (this Sunday Oct 23)

Post by Pedro on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 4:32 pm

Hey Bill its Pete..
I want to make it out to AF and 'look' around. Just need some time... Let me know if you head out I will try and join you. Also if anyone in UT county wants to join in let me know could use the help.

Pedro

Paddling Since : Year

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 4:23 am

Hi Pete
Thinking about hiking lower 6th; call me though if you want to check out AF.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 03 Oct 2010, 2:10 am

Hey, lower 6th has a little water in it. I would like to head back there tomorrow.
The gorge above the 5th water confluence is really scenic; reminds me of AF, without a road. Redrock and cobble though. Very difficult to bank scout much farther above the 5th water turnoff. A faint trail goes up high above the creek; the creek is gorged up, with steep cobble hillsides.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat on Mon 04 Oct 2010, 12:38 am

hiked up there to the bridge- started to cut some logs and the chainsaw seized. it was a good hike anyway i guess
unattendedboat

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Tue 05 Oct 2010, 1:18 pm

Hey Justin, I saw a bolt route on the drive in to Diamond fork; ever do that one? At that redrock picnic area 5 miles in; [Red Ledges or something]? There sure is alot of rock in the area; lota junk though..

Lower 6th water has paddleable potential from the boulder sieve above the 5th water bridge, down to 3 Forks. Its a low creeky flow right now; [not as good as the Narrows @ 150, but maybe better than the narrows at 100? Tighter, more technical] [est 55 cfs below the 5th water confl]

Last edited by wasatchbill on Sat 23 Oct 2010, 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Mon 18 Oct 2010, 1:47 am

Paddled all of lower 6th water today, from below that riverwide boulder sieve (2 tenths of a mile above the 5th water bridge). Only one 10 yard portage! It was bumpier than I'd hoped; still fun. This run is alot like AF at lower flows: bumpy, very tight, technical; woody. On lower AF and lower 6th, my Jefe Grande feels too long in many places. Daniel and Petes shorter boats would be great in lower 6th. Its hard for me not to piton sooner or later.

SYAR Tunnel gauge was at 33, for future reference. Probably 55 down below the 5th water input. I would think that another similarity to AF would be a much better run with 20 more cfs; and getting tougher at 100. Also the heavy wood load will move with more water.

Since Weber at Echo is down to 1.1 cfs (ya, doesn't sound right does it?), Weber @ Gateway dropped to 84, Ogden below Pineview is 7.5 (wtf!), Price looks like about 15, AF is around 16, lower 6th water (estimated 55) is comparatively decent.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sat 23 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm

Lower 6th tomorrow, shooting for noon at Three Forks trailhead (@Diamond fork)! Costumes optional alien
Elbow pads recommended Mad
And/Or, I would love to do Celestial gorge Idea

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 12:16 am

I'd be down, but, your time frame is way too late for me. Call me in the morning if you want to take off earlier. If not, have fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 1:07 am

Dan 4cylinders might be able to do an earlier run; I have to do a couple things in the AM;
I'm hoping rain will bump it up a bit..

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 10:12 am

out

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 3:25 pm

Been raining all day here in Provo and it's like 1:30. You might get the flows to crank up a fair bit if the weather is the same on the oher side of the mountain. Hope your having fun!

afaust

Paddling Since : 1492

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 11:10 pm

It was alot of fun. Bumped up with the rain, but still bumpy; need to look at the takeout bridge for a line gauge. Second run was more muddy and up a bit more, maybe 65 or 70cfs.
Didn't get many stills; and fog on the lens issues; but here's one clip, to give you an idea:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=449039848686

[Monday AM: The Syar gauge went from 33 to 39 while we were up there, then it went to 50 last night- must have rained hard up there!]

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum