Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Public input for Provo Parks Trails and Recreational Fields

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Public input for Provo Parks Trails and Recreational Fields

Post by RobA on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:29 pm

If you are interested in proposing that Provo build a whitewater park this seems like a good opportunity to give that input.

Next week Provo City will be holding meetings for city residents to give input to guide the formulation of the 10 year development plan for the city's parks, trails and recreational fields.

The meetings will be Tuesday the 21st and Wednesday the 22nd. It looks like Tuesday evening and Wednesday during the day there will be several 1 hour focus group meetings for invited residents to comment and Wednesday evening (7:00-8:30pm) there is an open meeting. All meetings will be held in the Provo City Library at Academy Square ballroom at 550 North University Avenue in Provo.

If you want more information about the meetings or would like to try to get an invitation to one of the focus group meetings contact Dawn at 801-852-6606 or dvannosdol@provo.utah.gov

The meetings were announced in Saturdays edition of the Herald and on Provo's website at http://provo.org/parks_and_rec.main.html

I will try to get invited to one of the focus group meetings but cannot make the Wed. evening meeting due to prior commitments. I think that the more people that can attend and respectfully recommend enhanced river access, features or a whitewater park the better.

Who else can make it one of these meetings?

Rob Allen-

Last edited by RobA on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobA

Paddling Since : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Public input for Provo Parks Trails and Recreational Fields

Post by Jeff Young on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

I'll do my best to be at the Weds meeting 7-830pm to represent the Utah Whitewater Club and give as much support as possible. There really needs to be a playpark in your neighborhood.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

I will be attending the 9:00am session Wednesday. I got the invitation to that meeting by emailing Dawn at the address listed above.
RobA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:41 pm

I attended the focus group meeting this morning with a few other Provo residents. I got to voice my interest in increasing access to the river and enhancing Provo's parks and trails by having better integration with the river and my interest in creating more eddies, drops or even a whitewater park.

Brian, the consultant gathering input for the city, was personally interested whitewater opportunities so I think this is a good chance to be heard.

What I think we need now is to have other Provo residents who are interested in parks, trails, the Provo river and whitewater express their views to get this idea to bubble up and become part of the city's plan.

Is there anyone else who can make the meeting tonight and express their views?
RobA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark B. on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:51 pm

Rob,

I should be able to attend the meeting. For those of us who might attend, is there any specific points we should mention in order to stay consistent and realistic? Obviously if we each get up and give a different dream scenario we'll seem out of touch, but if we're somewhat on the same page perhaps our voices will carry a little more weight.
Mark B.

Paddling Since : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:02 pm

I'm out for this evening... got me a case of food poisoning, big thanks to the Taco Bell in Vernal. I'm asking around to see if I can get another rep from the UWC to attend.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:10 pm

I will be there tonight. Mark, I emailed you some speaking points. Hopefully that is what you were looking for.

afaust

Paddling Since : 1492

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:02 pm

thanks Jeff, sorry about the gamboo
RobA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark B. on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:21 am

The meeting went pretty well I'd say. Here's the scoop from my perspective:

1. Provo City hired a consulting firm to help them decide how to develop their parks. The representative from the firm struck me as VERY kayaker friendly. Before we could bring it up, he mentioned in his presentation that the Provo River would be great for a whitewater feature and he spoke of the community benefits. He also said he has a whitewater park designer flying out on their own dime to look at specific sites and give some feedback. This is very good.

2. One of the city director's over park's (sorry didn't remember his name), seemed very open minded and thanked us for being there and contributing our ideas.

3. I think the biggest obstacle will be the city counsel. On the surface, spending money on a whitewater park is going to sound like frivolous use of tax payer funds. Provo City is very conservative, and something like a whitewater park is fairly progressive and sounds exotic to the average joe. Somehow we've got to show that the community is interested and supportive. This can be done by having a bunch of boaters show up for the next meeting. There were only a dozen people total there, so if we had two dozen kayakers show up our voice would be heard loud and clear.

4. The rep from the consulting firm would be really good to meet with. I know he has all the economic impact data to justify building a park. Since he is an insider in this process, he could tell us what we can do to help swoon the city decision makers our way.
Mark B.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 3:18 am

Great work Mark! I think I got there just after you left. The name of the director for Provo Parks and Recreation is Roger Thomas. He is not a boater, but is very friendly towards boaters and more than willing to sit on a committee once we get one going. He said basically what you said in #3, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The next public input is in spring and a large showing of kayakers could make this project happen relatively quickly.

The consultant, Brian Trusty, is actually a boater and has helped build parks in several states including a 26 million dollar park in Maryland that is similar to the National Whitewater Center in North Carolina. He said he thought a 1 million dollar park here in Provo would be relatively easy to make happen.

The whitewater engineering firm Brian is flying out is someone from McLaughlin Whitewater. This is the same firm that worked on the feature in Green River, WY and the one that is nearly complete in Boise, ID. www.mclaughlinwhitewater.com

afaust

Paddling Since : 1492

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 3:29 am

Do you guys have a copy of the April/May 2010 Paddler magazine? Good cover article: "9 Steps to a Whitewater park".
PM me a mailing address and I'll send you a copy.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:37 pm

Wow, It sounds like the evening meeting went even better than expected Mark and AJ!

I have all the contact info for Brian Trusty and will send him a follow up email.

Mark are you recommending having a couple dozen people show up to the next parks meeting or city council meeting? Either way I think that it is a good idea.
RobA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

Let me know when and where that is and we'll motivate people to come show support.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie a. on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

many thanks you guys! i'm super grateful!
johnnie a.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark B. on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 5:41 pm

Yeah a big group of river park enthusiasts showing up to the right meeting would go a long ways. The key is to find out exactly who the decision makers are and then find out what meetings they'll be attending. I'm sure if we got in contact with Brian that he could tell us which meeting to concentrate our efforts on so we don't have a big rally in vain.

Mark B.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum