Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 650 registered users
The newest registered user is Beth Blattenberger

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Spring Rodeo

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spring Rodeo

Post by Alan Clark on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:18 am

Hi all now that I have sold barefoot tubing I once again have time to plan some events. Looking to put on a spring rodeo, insured by the ASK. Thinking about about an 2 event series first rodeo at the opp and the second at riverdale wave. Scores would be averaged over the two days.

Any thoughts? Also thinking about another gear swap/BBQ . This event to be held at opp for no other reason than boating eating and seeing in person what people have to sell. No fees no commissions just for fun. Maybe mid march for this???

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring Rodeo

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 1:13 pm

Riverdale Wave is dead. Hopefully we'll have it fixed by then.

As for your swap meet idea, you're more than welcome to come to the UWC Swap meet April 14th at Crystal Wave, no overhead for the event so its totally free.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 2:43 pm

We will have to see about riverdale, not sure what it will look like with water in it.... Thanks for the option for the uwc swap. To be honest with you though, Im not personally interested in doing anything with the uwc until the clubs finances become transparent Smile

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 3:03 pm

Haha, here we go again. Rolling Eyes
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 3:42 pm

Yes same story and apparently same results,... Age old question, where do my club dues go? It appears that an ACA affiliate only needs to charge $15 for a years individual membership. The club charges $50 per year. Where does the other $35 per person go? Be a man jeff and disclose some information about the club. As far as I'm concerned this isn't asking too much, and it is owed to the community. I have been asking for this now going on five years. What does the club have to hide?

Other than that, Jeff you know that you and I can't stand each other and that
won't change, but this has nothing to do with you and I. This is about fiscal responsibility and now that there is another option for insurance I'd rather pay $15/year than $50 for more or less the same thing.

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 4:28 pm

First, your numbers are all wrong. $45 uwc membership fee, $30 of that goes to the ACA leaving $15 as club dues for the year. The money the club brings in goes toward free benefits for club members during the year that the club pays for. We've been though this all before with you. Take care.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

Who is we? And yes my numbers are wrong, an individual can join the ACA at an event for $15 good for the year meaning once they Pay then they are covered at any event and wouldn't have to pay the ACA fee again. So where does the $15 go? What events, quit being a pussy and put out the financial info.

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 5:13 pm

Anyways I'm over this and won't be posting on this topic anymore. Thanks!

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donaca on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 5:56 pm

As the current UWC Treasurer, I think I can help answer a few questions you may have about the club's finances. One of the benefits of being an ACA Paddle America Club is that we are able to offer our UWC members a discounted ACA membership. As Jeff stated, $30 of an individual membership and $40 of each family membership is sent to the ACA (this information can be found on the ACA Membership Form in the box that states "I would like a one-year ACA Paddle America Club Membership"). This provides the UWC member with an ACA number, ACA insurance coverage at affiliated events and a year's subscription to a Rapid Media magazine.

After ACA dues are deducted from each UWC membership, the club retains just $15 per individual and $20 per family account. In order for the UWC to retain its ACA Paddle America Club affiliation, the club also has to pay yearly dues to the ACA ranging from $150-$225 depending on the number of club members. This information can be found on the ACA website under the Paddle America Club Membership Benefits page.

After all ACA dues are paid, the UWC uses the remaining money to help finance all the free benefits offered to members. These benefits include, but are not limited to, campsite reservations for boating trips, reserving the Layton City Surf 'n Swim for Wave Pool nights, and charitable donations.

To sign up for a yearly ACA membership individually, and not through a Paddle America Club such as the UWC would cost $40 per individual and $60 per family. As for the $15 referred to, each individual has the option to join the ACA with an introductory membership ($15) which lasts just 6 months and each individual can be an intro member only once.

For ACA event insurance, the ACA offers its event liability insurance to Paddle America Clubs, ACA affiliate organizations, ACA certified instructors, instructor trainers and instructor trainer educators. Once the event paperwork has been properly filed each current ACA member is covered for the event for free, and non-members can pay a one-time $5 insurance fee.

The UWC has nothing to hide regarding its finances and is willing to provide a more detailed account to any current member who requests it.
Donaca

Paddling Since : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 6:06 pm

Thanks Donaca for posting this and I felt it deserved at least one more reply by me. I have always looked into things ca

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 6:11 pm

Thanks Donaca for posting this and I felt it deserved at least one more reply by me. I have always looked into things carefully before joining them. This issue has been unresolved for years because no one wanted to disclose financials. It appears I have my numbers wrong and I apologize for that. I would be interested to know however, where $15 from 60 plus members goes each year? It seems like said activities camp fees wave pool etc are less than $900 per year and when other non members also pay for events that yearly number could go up. I was interested several years ago in joining the uwc but without joining I can't see the financials. If a member could show me the last 3 years of financials I'd be content.

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 6:15 pm

Not like I give a shit, but damn when is the Internet tough guy routine going to end. This is childish bull shit anyway. Why do you even care if you are not a member. I am not currently a member, but when I was I did not care. I personally have never seen you in your boat, and heard at one time you were boat less. So either man up, and run some shit or recluse to a rocking chair. I get sick of all of this BS on this site. I thought all this was over, but I guess when people have nothing else to do they start talking shit. Lets see where you are when the water gets high.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donaca on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:25 pm

Alan

I hope this will help give you an idea of where the club's money goes.

The UWC currently has 19 active family memberships, and 29 individuals. This means that the UWC will retain $815 from those application fees.

As currently stated, with our current membership numbers the UWC would pay $150 to the ACA for the Paddle America Club dues this year. Historically, the club's P.O. Box rental in Salt Lake has run around $46 a year, although this could always change. There is also a $7 fee to renew our tax-exempt number.

As for campground reservations, this year the site has already been reserved for the Warm Springs Group Site #1 at the Payettes. We have reserved a very long weekend from Thursday night to Tuesday morning which cost the club $310. As in the past we will once again be holding a "Club Feast" that weekend, most likely Saturday night, of burgers and hot dogs, historically costing around $300. The Moab campground reservations normally cost around $95, and camping during our Sevier trip usually runs $60.

The UWC also makes charitable donations. Last year we gave $50 to American Rivers, and $75 each to Idaho Rivers and American Whitewater.

Already, that adds up to roughly $1168. There are also many small, miscellaneous purchases such as stamps and envelopes for mailing out our ACA paperwork. We have already begun working on getting trash cans put in place along the Weber River which the club would empty out each Tuesday night during the weekly Hen-Tag run. This then creates another small but long-term financial investment in trash bags.

I can understand not wanting to feel as if you are overpaying for a membership or that your money is being "wasted" by the club, especially during the current economic state. However, this is just not the case with the UWC. An individual UWC membership costs just $5 more than an individual ACA membership not affiliated with a Paddle America Club. Anyone with a valid ACA number is more than welcome to join our open events without paying the additional $5 waiver fee regardless of their UWC membership status. However, they would miss out on benefits such as the free camping offered at paying sites (like the Payettes) and would also be subject to the non-member prices at the Wave Pool sessions.

This being said, I personally would recommend to anyone who would like to be active and participate in several club events throughout the year that they join the UWC. It really is the most bang for your buck.
Donaca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:47 pm

Donaca , thank you! I have been interested in joining the club as stated earlier for several years and until this post couldn't get an answer. Truth of the matter is this.... My main paddling crew dissolved when Ed Clark moved away and when I blew out my shoulder . At this juncture I don't own a boat because of lifes occurrences. I have a hard time running class 4 mostly for fear of another dislocation and the drama it could cause on the river.

That being said I'm at a point in life now where I do have a little time, I miss paddling tremendously and will consider the club, if you'll have me, as a means to get back to paddling more!!

Thanks again and Jeff although we probably won't ever see eye to eye I would still throw you a bag or catch one from you.

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donaca on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 8:53 pm

Alan

We would love to have you in the UWC. Even though some individuals in the paddling world may butt heads from time to time (and let's face it, that just boils down to human nature), the UWC is open to all whitewater enthusiasts and does its best to be a tool for the entire boating community. The club is always looking for new and active members.

You should come to the Wave Pool next Saturday, the 25th. It would be a great way to get back into a boat. As for currently being boatless, it's never too hard to find loaner gear for the night. Let Jeff know if you need a boat or anything else and we can hook you up with that. Surprised
Donaca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 9:20 pm

Alan,
All is well. Come boat.
Jeff
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 12:17 am

Thanks Donaca! Alan, the wave pool sessions are super fun, way better than a flatwater pool session; and members save $5 if I recall correctly; so just going to 3 of the wave pool sessions (or races like Evanston, Narrows, and Provo last year) saves you $15.
Cheers
Bill
Posted from St George after some awesome rock climbing in Snow Canyon, and a long hike in the Narrows a couple days ago :-).

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 12:20 am

Donaca, Thanks for posting all the financial details. I appreciate learning about the donations and the trash can efforts.
RobA

Paddling Since : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum