Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 650 registered users
The newest registered user is Beth Blattenberger

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Looking for Info on paddling Flaming Gorge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking for Info on paddling Flaming Gorge

Post by jense on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:33 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to take 14-15 year old scouts on a 3 day, 2 night canoe camping trip?

We were thinking about going to Flaming Gorge. Any info on this pro or con would be helpful.

Allan Jensen

jense

Paddling Since : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for Info on paddling Flaming Gorge

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:00 pm

The water is very cold year round there. Warmer weather would better for sure. It is a pretty mellow run with one rapid they may wan to portage. I believe that hard shell kayaks, or inflatable kayaks would be a much better choice than canoes. Also the run just below Flaming Gorge Dam is not that long, and not much of an overnighter unless you camped at the take out after the run. It is a beautiful run, and fairly straight forward, but not something I would put 14-15 year olds in canoe, and say have at it. Another question are you an experienced boater at all. Are you prepared to rescue young kids from the river if needed. Depending on the dates I would help run safety, and try to get another friend on board to help as well. I help teach kayaking classes with a friend of mine, and we could help get some kids ready for the trip in hard shell kayaks.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:31 am

More info on you, and the scouts', river experience and time of year planning to launch would be helpful...

Simply describing the river- The "A" section is Class II+ rapids than can get big, but they're short, making rescue 'relatively' easy; the "B" section has lots of flat water and one semi-long Class III(Red Creek) which has an easy scout/portage with a big sign warning your arrival; the "C" section has some Class II and more meanders. 28 miles total, it could be done as a 2 nighter, if you plan it right and assuming you've got other activities planned, than just paddling. Eddyflower.com has some descent write-up's on those sections. Definately an aesthetically pleasing canyon.
brianteats

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark B. on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:04 pm

As a former boy scout canoe guide, I'd recommend not taking scouts on a river with rapids with all their overnight gear in the canoe. If you want to do a multi-day canoe self support trip, consider canoeing on Flaming George itself from campsite to campsite. Another option if you really want to do the river is to have one leader drive everyone's gear from campsite to campsite on the Green river below the dam; this way WHEN the kids swamp their boats there is little consequence and they'll still have a warm sleeping bag at night.

If you decide to do a river trip, spend plenty of practice time in a local lake learning how to maneuver the canoe and perform unswamping practice. The parallel rescue is by far the best way to quickly unswamp a large canoe in the river; forget the "t-rescue".

Lastly, if you want a good mix of whitewater and scenic canoeing without worrying about logistics, look into the Teton High Adventure Base. It's an organized camp, but their main purpose is to get kids out canoeing every day on the river. They provide guides/food/lodging so it makes the logistics easier. Planning your own adventure is fun too. Good luck!

Last edited by Mark B. on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Mark B.

Paddling Since : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by riverstud222 on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 6:56 pm

Echo what everyone else has said but I'll also throw in a plug for the Salmon River High Adventure Base.

http://www.grandtetoncouncil.org/index.cfm?pageid=1100

I guided there for years and it's the experience of a lifetime and a fantastic way to get into kayaking. 3 days 2 nights, kayaking, rafting, repelling etc. I guarantee you'd love it.

riverstud222

Paddling Since : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum