Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Murtaugh's up

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Murtaugh's up

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 12:27 am

for all you hardcores.... over 5500 :-)

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Murtaugh's up

Post by HPP on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

whos going

HPP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 8:52 pm

Anyone know what the water temp is. I would like to get some hand paddles wet in some Murtaugh goodness. I can handle pretty cold water with gloves or mittens. If it is 50 or so that would be fine.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

it cold down there

Post by alrag on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:06 am

three of us want to go this weekend

alrag

Paddling Since : 1995

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waterbaby on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 12:10 pm

What's the Murtaugh like at 5000?... or at all, I've never run it
waterbaby

Paddling Since : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

Big water class IV or so. Need a good brace, and a good roll. Swims could suck in the winter. Very fun wave trains pretty much right down the middle.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

Its a committing canyon that would be hard to hike out of, and its long; 15 miles. This run description says "Overall, the nature is pool drop class III/IV with two class IV+/V- rapids at "Let's make a deal" and "Duckblind.""

At really big water Pair-o-Dice was the crux.
http://eddyflower.com/RunDetailstabs.aspx?RunId=349#/home

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 3:49 pm

I have been in there at 18,000, and 6,000. At 18,000 Pair of Dice was the only thing that I thought to be sketchy. At 6,000 I did not think any thing was Class V unless you ran pair of dice on the right channel, or to far right on the left channel. There is a sneak there regardless. If you are a Class IV boater you are fine in the Murtaugh. Just bring power bars, matches, and fire starter in a ziploc bag in your PFD. That way if you swim you have something to warm up with. Class ratings are stupid any way.

Here is a break down of the run.

1. Big wave trains that you will have to predict (they are easy to predict) So a solid brace is a must.

2. Long deep canyon that would be very difficult to hike out of, but within the middle of a farming town so help will come within a matter of time. So it is not like you are running the Tsangpo River Gorge.

3. A swim could result in hypothermia or death, but you could die of hypothermia at OPP if you did not get warm fast enough.

4. It is big water so flush drowning is a possibility.

So with the hazards listed. Here is the truth of the run.

1. If you have a good brace, and a good roll you can run the Murtaugh at the levels I have ran it, and what ever levels resemble the levels I have ran it.

2. Lines are easy to hit, and the water is very predictable. Most of the lines consist of going right down the big wave train.

3. Going in with a good group is key. I usually run it with guys from Twin Falls, and they know it the best.

4. Above all the hazards the water is pretty calm so they are easy to avoid.

5. I have heard at around 6,000 you can swim out of every hole though I have not tried.

6. Class ratings are pointless, and everyone has their opinion of what they mean.

With that being said if a swim is a Class V swim, but the water is Class II you are not running a Class V you are running a Class II with Class V consequences.
Also if I would inquire about hand paddling it when the water is still cold it is not Class V.

If you are good on Class IV hook up with a good crew, and run it. Don't be scared just be alert, and go where they go. Pretty simple, and one of my favorite runs. It is Class FUN, and FULL BLOWN CLASS FUN in the summer:)

Not that I care, but here is a link to a Class Rating system.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Wiki/safety:start

Here is the part to study.

Class IV: Advanced

List of Class IV Rated Rapids

Intense, powerful but predictable rapids requiring precise boat handling in turbulent water. Depending on the character of the river, it may feature large, unavoidable waves and holes or constricted passages demanding fast maneuvers under pressure. A fast, reliable eddy turn may be needed to initiate maneuvers, scout rapids, or rest. Rapids may require “must” moves above dangerous hazards. Scouting may be necessary the first time down. Risk of injury to swimmers is moderate to high, and water conditions may make self-rescue difficult. Group assistance for rescue is often essential but requires practiced skills. A strong eskimo roll is highly recommended. Rapids that are at the lower or upper end of this difficulty range are designated “Class IV-” or “Class IV+” respectively.

Murtaugh is clearly Class IV by American Whitewater's standard.

Class 5: Expert

List of Class 5 Rated Rapids
Extremely long, obstructed, or very violent rapids which expose a paddler to added risk. Drops may contain** large, unavoidable waves and holes or steep, congested chutes with complex, demanding routes. Rapids may continue for long distances between pools, demanding a high level of fitness. What eddies exist may be small, turbulent, or difficult to reach. At the high end of the scale, several of these factors may be combined. Scouting is recommended but may be difficult. Swims are dangerous, and rescue is often difficult even for experts. A very reliable eskimo roll, proper equipment, extensive experience, and practiced rescue skills are essential. Because of the large range of difficulty that exists beyond Class IV, Class 5 is an open-ended, multiple-level scale designated by class 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, etc… each of these levels is an order of magnitude more difficult than the last. Example: increasing difficulty from Class 5.0 to Class 5.1 is a similar order of magnitude as increasing from Class IV to Class 5.0.
Murtaugh is pretty much pool drop.

Class VI: Extreme and Exploratory Rapids

These runs have almost never been attempted and often exemplify the extremes of difficulty, unpredictability and danger. The consequences of errors are very severe and rescue may be impossible. For teams of experts only, at favorable water levels, after close personal inspection and taking all precautions. After a Class VI rapids has been run many times, its rating may be changed to an apppropriate Class 5.x rating.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waterbaby on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:04 pm

Nice explanation! Can't wait to get out there.
waterbaby

Paddling Since : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alrag on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

6000 is probably the easiest level at murtaugh

alrag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alrag on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:58 pm

but the wind sucks!!!!!!

alrag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 5:03 pm

It is a CLASS V++++++++++++++ wind for sure. It could even blow dust into your eye which makes it a CLASS V+++++++++++++++++.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 5:42 pm

alrag wrote:6000 is probably the easiest level at murtaugh
Whats it like at 7400 Alan? I wish the Weber would bump up like that!

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alrag on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:37 am

its about like 6000. the bigger the water the bigger the waves. it gets easier because all the rocks get covered. eddy lines crazy but the center is good to go. just stay right when you see the bridge, the falls are ahead.

alrag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alrag on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:38 am

oops. stay river runner left.

alrag

View user profile

Back to top Go down