Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

What's the scoop on Crystal Wave?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's the scoop on Crystal Wave?

Post by tuffshed on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 6:56 pm

I've never been to Crystal Wave but I'm in need of some pre season surfing practice and to shake the spiders out of my kayak and try some rolls. So what's the scoop? Specific questions are :

1. How do you get there from SLC?
2. Where do you park? Can I change behind my car or is it open?
3. Is there a guage? If so, what can I expect at different levels?
4. What is the feature like? I've seen pics where it looked like a simple pool/drop wave, which is all I need for now.
5. Can I come alone after work (4:00-5:00ish) and will there be others there generally so I don't have to kayak alone (safety)?
6. Is it ultra crowded now as it is the only game in town?

Kurious Kayakers would love to know.

tuffshed

Paddling Since : 1985

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's the scoop on Crystal Wave?

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

It is behind the Wal-Mart on Harrison in Ogden. It is a pretty friendly wave, but not the only game in town. If you want to front surf it is a fun wave, but I would rather go to OPP right now the water is higher, and more fun than Crystals right now. Then again I don't currently have a play boat so for squirt boating opp is the bomb. I like OPP better warmer water, more features, and more water. If you get bored at OPP you go to the next hole, if you get bored there you go to the next hole. If you get bored at Crystals you leave:(
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tuffshed on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:29 pm

Mr. Monster,
Thanks for the advice. I've been to OPP, used to go a lot when it first opened, but not in the last few years. It seemed like the first wave was a bit sticky, not suited for a first time of the year dusting off of the kayak, and the second wave pretty much non existant and the third just one extremely short deep wave not good for much except blasting a squirt boat. Has it changed much in the last say 4 years? You could though zip down there after work, change behind your car (as it was a bit remote) and take some laps.

Right now I'm just looking to try out a new boat front surfing something not too challenging but surfable once or twice to get my sea legs. It would also be nice if I could change behind my car without getting arrested so I wouldn't have to suit up at work. Would Crystal fill that bill?

Also, I can probably find the Wal-Mart on Harrison, but where do I park? Behind Wal-mart? East/West/North/South side? Do I have to walk down a path?

Thanks again.

tuffshed

Paddling Since : 1985

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:36 pm

Crystals is great for what you need, much better than OPP (although the second feature has a great surf wave but a nasty third drop to deal with if you're rusty roll fails)

You can park right at the feature on the dirt road that leads from the north edge of the WalMart parking lot. It behind the new WalMart at Wall and 20th st. You can get away with changing there, but somedays its pretty busy. The wave is at the back right corner of Walmart, remember that and look for the dirt road. If you get lost, park in the WalMart parking lot and walk back to the wave (big open field and only about 100 yards from the building) and you'll soon figure out where that road comes in.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:37 am

Hi Tuff-
They are not crowded; probably noone there unless you coordinate with someone. Water is cold (~40), dress warm for rolls! Earplugs recommended by the docs.
From mellow to pushier: Crystal, OPP (first drop: best spins around), then Riverdale eddy turns and ferries are the best (pushiest), locally right now. The wave structure is undercut (dangerous for squirting), and there's obvious wood on the right of the first pool; and below the wave gets shallow after 50 feet; but other than that its deep. Riverdale to OPP is a nice mellow run that is doable now. As Riverdale comes up, there may be a secondary wave that becomes a fast narrow front surf; but the main wave is gone.

You have OPP right; the second wave has a bit of a side surf, stern squirts and peelouts; the 3rd drop is even steeper now; completely trashy; mainly its the first drop. There is also a little drop above the bridge that has a stern squirt spot, and a single pole gate set.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum