Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Any Plans to Boat This Weekend?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any Plans to Boat This Weekend?

Post by Wil on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

Anybody have any plans to boat this weekend? Looks like Sunday is going to be the hot day, and I might head over to Ogden for a little playparking (either OPP or Crystals). Really, really tempted to try and get on the Murtaugh, as it is 6600 and supposed to be 70F as a high in Twin Lakes. And I also see that the Lower Malad is at 2300, but that might be too much for the first float of the season.

So does anyone have any plans to paddle?

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any Plans to Boat This Weekend?

Post by missiongravity on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:15 pm

I would be down for some boating!! Haven't been on the water in some time but ready to fire something up. I was thinking some section of the Provo perhaps or if the Murtaugh is popping I absolutely want to get on it.
I just picked up a new dry suit and would love to break it in.

Holler

8 zero tree 44 six 44 six too

missiongravity

Paddling Since : 1989

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:47 pm

Wil,
Are you wanting to raft or kayak? Agreed, it looks like Sunday would be the warmer day to be out. Are you going to try to get out both days?

Duckins

Paddling Since : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by missiongravity on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:57 pm

Buttboating! I have a raft but don't put it to much use other than boozing on easy runs.

missiongravity

Paddling Since : 1989

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waterbaby on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm

I'd like to boat this weekend....not familiar with anything at all, just moved here.. Want to get on the Murtaugh, but would like to go with some people that know the run. Anything local would be good too.

Jessica
waterbaby

Paddling Since : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:24 pm

Tim,
I will definitely kayak, as I need to get better with oars to take the big cat down the Murtaugh. I can only do a one day trip, and will do the leave butt ass early Sunday morning and return BA late Sunday night. But I know with you being a family man now, just wanted to remind you that Sunday is Easter. Luckily my wife gave me a pass. So I am about 75% sure I'll do it, but would like to hook up with some experienced boaters.

Let me know what you think - Wil

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

Not sure if anyone noticed yet, but the Murtaugh just jumped up to 9000. Might be a little over my head for a first trip of the season. Can anyone convince me differently that the Murtaugh is still not too bad ass at that level? I've only done it at 4200, and I heard from others that 6ish is still in the same realm of difficulty. But what about 9k?

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 7:21 pm

I've only been on it at 6K too. I'm sure it would be good to go at 9K, but I'd probably wimp out and take the big boat again. I've got some friends from Boise that are thinking of driving down to try it in a raft, but I don't think they've seen it at 9K before either.

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:08 pm

I was gonna mention that the Lava Hot Springs town run could be fun @350, but it just jumped to 1130, which is a serious level, with a keeper hole behind the Thai restaurant.
Edit: that gauge is acting weird; now it doesn't show a spike at all. ?? Seems almost too low.
The Malad is over 2000. Wow!
http://www.idahopower.com/OurEnvironment/WaterInformation/StreamFlow/maps/streamFlowsDataTable.cfm?id=970896#Link4

I would like to paddle something, maybe Murtaugh? I've only done it once; don't know it well. I would be tempted to continue to Boise, maybe further.
If the Weber@gateway would get over 600, or the Ogden over 250, I'd stay local.

Last edited by wasatchbill on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:50 pm

Mission and Jessica, are you still interested? I've paddled with the others interested, and don't want to take anyone that isn't ready for this, so definitely know that you are getting into some serious Class IV big whitewater.

I assume it is still pool drop at 9k, and we would have time to get everybody back together before the next nightshading. I'm definitely a little nervous, but it is a good nervous.

Is there anyone else out there that has some more Murtaugh experience that would like to join in? Come on ya elders out there.

Tim, do your buddies in the raft know the run decently? When will everybody be able to give a go / no go?

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 11:00 pm

My Boise buddy is a solid Class IV rower, but he hasn't done the Murtaugh. He's out of reach on the Owyhee until sometime tomorrow, so I won't know until then if he's in for sure. Last I talked to him he said the Boise local runs are going strong. What are the chances of the Ogden bumping up to a runnable flow?

Wil, you mentioned that you'd need to do a day-trip, correct?

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 11:21 pm

The Ogden is entirely dam-release dependent; seems like a longer shot to me than the Weber coming back up to 600+@Gateway, which would make the Eggs bend a go for me (creeky IV). The Weber@Gateway dropped 130 because they cut the Echo release in half; so its semi-dam-dependent also, with so little snowpack.
But who knows... the Ogden at 300 or 400 would be sweet. We just need a fourth of last years flow. Honestly if it gets over 200 I will be running it. People ran it at 130 last week, but that is real boat abuse (how many boats broke, one, 2?).
Time for some focused visualization :-).

BTW the Weber@Gateway bumps with rain. If it gets over 600 tomorrow, who wants to do a cold water run? Come to think of it, tomorrow is probably the best shot (in the next few days) for local boatable class IV. It got over 600 last Sunday, and I don't know of anyone who ran it (rain/snow that day).

Last edited by wasatchbill on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 2:19 am; edited 2 times in total

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 11:44 pm

Yeah, I can only be away for a day, and would like to get home by midnight, so I can be ready for an epic work week starting at 6:15AM.

I'd prefer to do something local, but it is hard to say no to what will hopefully be an epic level on the Murtaugh.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:34 am

I am a little surprised Boise boaters would drive down to the Murtaugh right now, there is so much running up there. Main Payette, Cabarton, Staircase, Canyon (low, but good for kayaking I believe), North fork Payette, Middle Payette... I guess there is not 15 miles of class IV big water for a raft.
the Lochsa hit 6K last Sunday...I want to get on the Lochsa this season! Very Happy

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:47 am

It may be a tough sell to get the Boise crew down to Twin Falls... it would mostly be to catch up with friends. I'll know more tomorrow. Would be sweet to make it up to Boise for some paddling too. Lochsa would be oh-so-sweet. Looks like the best way to get there is via Missoula? 9.5 hours drive about?

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 2:18 am

I have not been up there; it sure looks like a haul no matter how you cut it. That is almost as far as to Hood River.
I was trying to piece it together via Boise/Banks, then the Cascade park, then maybe the East fork of the South fork of the Salmon (I have heard that is also awesome IV); sort of on the way to the Lochsa... Seems like 5 days or more that way.
What runs are on the way if you go via Missoula?

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 2:34 am

Via Missoula you could get the Main Salmon Day Stretch, a number of creeks south of Missoula (Kootenai/Bear) and the Alberton Gorge on the Clarks Fork. Could come back via the west with EF SF Salmon, McCall and the Payettes... talk about an epic trip!

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Murtaugh on Saturday

Post by mitchin on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:45 pm

For anybody who is interested in Murtaugh this Saturday there is a group going up. Two guys are heading up tonight and me and gravity are heading up Saturday morning coming back Saturday night. If anybody else wants in I have room for two more in my car. Don't let the snow today scare you ... tomorrow is supposed to be 61 and sunny in Twin. Should be fun...

mitch
call/text - 8o1.7o6.six28five

mitchin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TyUSU on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 4:23 pm

Im still in need of a better drytop before i run anything like murtaugh thats down in a deep canyon.. I ran it at 13k on a cold day once and my advice would be to take some extra warm weather gear. I felt like a popsicle by the time i was finished paddling across that lake. It may be 60 in twin but its definately a bit colder in the canyon. Not to mention the wind factor that never seems to die down on that run. All and all its a big water blast if you have the right gear.

Bill, Id like to do something local if your interested on saturday afternoon. If nothing is running than ill just hit up the wave pool.

Ty (435)-two37-20thirty
TyUSU

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 5:14 pm

Ty, how about Woodcamp on the Logan; Could probably put in at Woodcamp; or the lower half for sure, with St Annes rapid. The water will be cold, but its roadside; probably 3+ miles with enough water (its class III if anyone else is interested, a clean cold little creek in a great canyon). There is rock climbing too.

Around here there is always OPP; Riverdale to OPP, or the end of Eggs (dam down). The Weber@Gateway is down to 394 because they reduced the Echo release another 45, down to 85. So the Eggs bend is out unless they release more out of Echo.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 5:21 pm

Ty,
How would you describe the Murtaugh at 13k? Bill said at 17k is still continuous. Just hoping it would still be some time between the big rapids on the run. If I still had my old drytop, you could definitely use it. Maybe someone else has one you can borrow for the day.

Wil

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 6:11 pm

I got too excited about this snow thing we never get in UT and made plans to ski tomorrow morning. Might be up for something local in the afternoon when it warms up, or may hit the wave pool thing. Still waiting to hear from the Boise guys on the Owyhee... hope they're OK. Anyone up for paddling Sunday if weather continues to look good?

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

I got plans for tomorrow too, so down to paddle Sunday. Want to make a game-time decision Saturday night on where to go? Prefer local, but definitely down with Murtaugh or Malad.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig.Bilderback on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:06 pm

Will- Exactly what I was thinking.

Craig.Bilderback

Paddling Since : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:01 pm

I was thinking about going to Malad, and Deep Creek Saturday be back Saturday night.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum