Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Any Plans to Boat This Weekend?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Any Plans to Boat This Weekend?

Post by Duckins on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:18 pm

Sounds good... regroup tomorrow evening. My buddy froze his ass off on the Owyhee. My bet is he'll want to stay closer to home in Boise this weekend and skip any Murtaugh action.

Duckins

Paddling Since : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Sat 07 Apr 2012, 9:41 am

FSM, it would sure be good to boat with you if you think you have Sunday available. If we choose the Murtaugh, it would be nice to have someone who has more runs down it than our current group's accumulation of 3.

Water level is still around 9k, and still forecast to be 70F tomorrow. Poor guys today have an expected high of 59F, so I hope they stay warm, and can give us a good update.

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:19 pm

Alright, what is everyone's consensus? Craig sounds like he is down to do Murtaugh. Bill, has anything local come within floatable limits? Tim, sorry, I thought I had your number, but I don't anymore. Jessica, any input on our situation? We have to decide ASAP, and sorry for my delay, as I just got back from a big mtn bike ride. If anyone wants to chat or text, my number is

7one9 - 24ate - sixtyfive23

They just updated the temp forecast to 72F now for Twin Falls tomorrow, so it is going to be a heat wave. I might just wear just my thong and a PFD (hopefully you can see my sarcasticness)

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:55 pm

I'd be game for something tomorrow. Close would be nice, but Murtaugh sounds fun too.
Tim 303819-9734

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:34 am

Its looking pret-ty darn low locally; everything dropped with the cold. Lower Woodcamp on the Logan had two fun little rapids today, but @215 it was bumpier than I'd hoped elsewhere. We put in near China cave, and went to Card picnic area, then did a second lap of St Annes rapid to Card.
OPP would still be fun in the sun. I am not planning on the drive to Idaho at the moment; might do something on the Weber tomorrow; maybe end of Eggs or OPP. Maybe rock climbing :-)

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:43 am

Fun times today Bill, lots of eddys to catch.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nick on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:13 am

i think woodcamp was actually right at 200 or a little bit below when we ran it. i came out of the canyon and looked at the gauge and it said 195, then went back up the canyon and did another lap and it was about the same. if anyone wants to run woodcamp im down to go anytime. 2O8-three three 9- 6 3 nine 5

nick

Paddling Since : '11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mitchin on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 11:13 am

Hey guys, sorry this is too late to help with your decision on what to run today, but for what it's worth Murtaugh was awesome on Saturday. All sun, high near 70 and no wind. If you headed up there today I imagine you won't be disappointed, unless the wind decides to kick up.

mitchin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 1:32 pm

Running Myrtaugh shuttle now. Mitchin- do rapids go similar to 6k cfs?
Thx,
Tim 3038199734

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

Hi Nick, thats interesting; although its hard to tell exactly because the gauge is below two dams from the Woodcamp section.
Have you checked out the V-wave?
The Logan town run description on Eddyflower said its good from "180 to 350, then it gets rowdy". It says the whole town run is ok at 200cfs, but I would look at that footbridge drop; probably bumpy boat abuse.
Is anyone else getting intermittent errors from eddyflower run description pages today?

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 5:25 pm

I'd be down for a town run.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:41 pm

Murtaugh was great. Lots of sun, fun crew, and little wind. FYI, the lines seemed pretty similar to 6k, just bigger.

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

Water temp in the Murtaugh?
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:16 am

Agua fria. Most used pogies or gloves. But, almost got to 80 deg in Twin Falls.

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mitchin on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 10:49 am

Tim-
Once again too late to help you guys out. I couldn't really say how it compares to 6k anyway because between the three of us only my buddy Dan had run it once before and that was was 10 years ago so needless to say he was a bit hazy on the lines. You guys know first hand, but for anyone else that cares everything ran pretty much down the middle. At Pair-A-Dice we ran the left side of the left channel about a boat length off the island where you usually scout. That puts you between the roostertail on the left and the water coming out the side of the big hole taking up the middle of the channel. Moffatt had the cleanest line by running the furthest right of any of us and leaning into the left edge of the big hole and riding it down. Looked nice. At let's make a deal we scouted and then just picked our poison. Everything else, like I said, pretty much down the middle. What a blast. I love riding a typewriter.

mitchin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:51 pm

Thanks everybody for showing up. We had a big group of 9 kayakers, 3 rafters and one open boater. Even though no one ran Pair-a-dice, we did have some stout seal launches off the lunch-time rock. Thanks again everyone for a great day with some real nice weather and water that woke you up when you were flipped.

Mitchin, did you put in at the bridge or the other spot 1/2 mile or so upriver? We put in at the bridge, and the first couple of wavetrains were huge, but when I did the Murtaugh last, we put in higher up, and I was just wondering how big those wavetrains were at 9k, because they were just as big if not bigger than the bridge one at 4.5k.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nick on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm

bill, i havent seen the footbridge drop, but i have looked at other spots on the town section, it looks like it would be pretty rough. the v wave looks like it would be kinda fun though, but i am not the most reliable source on that considering i havent spent much time on waves of any decent size. it looks like i could have fun it however.

as for murtaugh does anyone know of any runs that are similar that it could be compared to? or any runs that one could practice and train on to do murtaugh?

nick

Paddling Since : '11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:23 am

Nick, most of the town section should be pretty mellow; aside from the brushy shores, and any wood that may be in there. I don't think there is anything like St Annes, aside from the bridge drop (probably a portage at low and high water), and the V wave.
Any bigwater run would be good practice for Murtaugh. Right now a good progression on the Payettes would be Main Payette (currently at 5470); this has some great pool drop big water; if you are off line, or looking for big hits, in Go Left, there are some big hits; there are some other holes below there you can try to boof; I don't recall the names. In other words, take the hard lines on an easier run; that is the safer way to work up to the easier lines on harder runs. Playboating on big features is great practice too.
So:
Main Payette
Cabarton
Staircase (roadside IV, mega classic). All running now.
Canyon - fantastic run; a little low now, but I guess its doable.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mitchin on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

Nick-
Sounds like Bill has a pretty good handle on it (but I've never been on any of those runs so I can't say for sure). But any run with big water dynamics is going to give you a taste of Murtaugh. Other guys have said it before and now that I've run it I agree, the only real prerequisite is a solid roll. A good brace is nice, but a solid roll is a must. Pretty much everything with consequence can be scouted and portaged, but if you get flipped and consistently swim in big wave trains it's going to make for a long day. It's been a long time since I've run the Alpine Canyon stretch on the Snake, but seems like if your comfortable in all the funny water in that canyon you would probably do fine in Murtaugh. Even more so if your also comfortable with some of the bigger waves trains in Westwater. Certainly don't approach the run lightly, but don't be scared off by it. If your roll is solid, find some guys who know the run and go do it. It's a blast.

Tim-
We put in at the bridge too. Newty had told me about putting in up higher so we went and checked it out and found where we figure you could get down to the river up below Cauldron Linn. We looked down river and saw a couple of wave trains but they didn't look big so we figured it was washed out and decided it wasn't worth it to go back and get the other car from the bridge put in. Wished we had though. Ran into a local who said those are the biggest waves in the run at these flows. I think he said they start to wash out above 9k, though I could be wrong. He was a little vague.

Here are a few of shots of our lines through Pair-A-Dice:

Moffatt entering Pair-A-Dice:

Moffatt:

Dan in the thick of it:

...out the other side.

My line...

...not quite so clean Very Happy

mitchin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertder Miff on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 11:01 am

Nice pics. That one of Moffatt dropping into Pair o' Dice is awesome!
Vertder Miff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 11:29 am

Nice pics, and way to step it up. The pics are great, but they don't do justice to how big and nasty that rapid is. And looking at it from the rock fails in comparison to looking at it from water level looking back up from the bottom. You guys got some serious stones.

Did any of you three have a problem getting the line you wanted at the top? I know when I ran it at 4200, it wanted to pull you more to the scout rock, and that was my fear, as it would take you straight into the hole.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

Nice shots of Pair-a-dice! Wish I would have balled up to run it, but the seal launch was fun too. I think you could see the upstream wavetrains from the bridge, and they still looked pretty big at 9K.

I think WW at 6K+ would be good practice for Murtaugh. Like Mitchin said, you need a solid roll (or Diabolical Dave's willingness to attempt 10 rolls) before hitting this one. The strong eddy lines and boils really got me when I first got on big water runs. The eddy lines can be very strong and can be hard to paddle through, let a lone swim through.

Duckins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mitchin on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:19 pm

Nick-

I received a PM from a concerned member of the forum that perhaps my previous post in response to your question of how to prepare for Murtaugh was encouraging you to take the run lightly. While I do not feel I downplayed any of the hazards associated with the run I wanted to clarify that it is indeed a serious run in a very committed canyon. The prerequisite I mentioned of a solid roll is not a suggestion, but is absolutely mandatory. Look at the pictures, that's the crap you have to be sure you can roll up in. If you have not paddled in high volume rivers before then Murtaugh is not the place to learn (neither is Westwater for that matter, though it's a good step on the way). Others on the forum may have a better suggestion, but if you ask me I would say the best place to get your first taste of higher volume and what comes with it is Alpine canyon on the Snake as I mentioned in my previous post. It's got funky eddies and strange currents, but it's not as big and it's all roadside so if you swim and lose your gear or get hypothermic you're not stuck in a 14 mile canyon. Start there, work your way up. Be safe, that way you'll keep having fun.

Will-

It may be a different line at 4200. There is a pretty good chance that where we ran would be dry at that flow, but that's kind of what happened to me. I got pushed towards the rock more than I anticipated and ended up running further left than either Dan or Moffatt. Not sure if my flip was because of that or a crappy brace. Knowing that, if I run it again at 9k I'll plan to take more of Moffat's line by leaning into the shoulder of water leaving that big hole in the center of the channel. He just kind of melted in and cruised through. The other option was to try to come in behind the hole before the river turns to the right and run the river right edge of the big hole. There was a lot of water moving through there, but it definitely would be a harder line to hit and if you missed it you'd have that short-bus size hole to become acquainted with rather than the go-cart I had to deal with.

mitchin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark B. on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:09 pm

Nice reports. I'm excited to get up there. Thanks for sharing.
Mark B.

Paddling Since : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum