Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 650 registered users
The newest registered user is Beth Blattenberger

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Brand new USGS Gauge at Crystal Wave

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brand new USGS Gauge at Crystal Wave

Post by Jeff Young on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

Yup, they just put it in. Thanks to Crystal Young-Turner for the heads up! They dropped the level to install gauge, should bump up very soon.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv/?site_no=10140700&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,72020,00010,00095,00300,63680
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brand new USGS Gauge at Crystal Wave

Post by echymas on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:17 pm

Sweet, added it to the flow links.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 11:17 pm

Awesome!
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:17 am

That's great! I would add this gauge to the "Lower Ogden" run description on Eddyflower, but who knows if that site will ever be usable again...

I guess i could reproduce it on River brain, need a Narrows and a Pineview run description on the website, too.
brianteats

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

Why not use americanwhitewater.org? Its easy to be a streamteam volunteer to help with their run descriptions; just ask them.

For one thing, AW uses their run description database as evidence of river use, when they are working on river access issues.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Volunteer/view/

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:09 pm

Good tip Bill! Do they monitor how many hits each run description gets to judge usage?
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by echymas on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:28 pm

currently the ogden at pineview is 25cfs and crystal is 57cfs. i know that the water fall adds some. is that the only tributary between pineview and the new crystal gauge?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:35 pm

I am not sure about that Jeff, sounds like a good idea. They do want photos to illustrate river use.

Clay, there are quite a few tributaries. I think Wheeler creek is below the Ogden-below-Pineview gauge (not positive), but then there are all the small tribs in the canyon (Cold water canyon, Warm water canyon, etc). During peak runoff they add up.
The waterfall was off the other day.

There is a power plant near Harrison that is a bigger input; I thought it was bigger than that actually..

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm

Wheeler creek is below the gauge and doesn't get figured into the pineview/narrow/RG flow.

The Crystal guage is showing very low right now because they had to shut the water down through both the canyon and the power plant to build the gauge (which is just downstream at the bridge below Crystals)
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:22 pm

Jeff Young wrote:Wheeler creek is below the gauge and doesn't get figured into the pineview/narrow/RG flow.

I think you meant to say the creek is directly above the gauge, and is factored into the reading.

You can see what's being realeased from Pineview here: http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/rsvrs/ops/crsp_40_pv.html

So considering the 'below Pineview" gauge combines Wheeler and pineview outflow; and considering flow from Wheeler is very similiar to what's coming in from tributaries in the canyon before the powerplant inflow; and now with this new gauge- you can figure out exactly whats coming in from where. (and what's exactly flowing through the demon down which is especially usefull)
brianteats

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by echymas on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:29 pm

Date Elevation Content Inflow Release
(feet) (AF) (cfs) (cfs)
03-APR-2012 4894.52 94736 562 300

Am I reading this wrong? If they were releasing 300cfs on apr 3rd then where did the water go before it hit the gauge? I haven't seen it hit 200 yet this spring.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:55 pm

I think that's the total amount of water released, as in through the pipe and to the river. So looking at that last week in March- ~300cfs was leaving Pineview; 130cfs on the USGS gauge(split somehow between the dam and Wheeler), leaves an also uknown cfs in the pipe for power generation or up to Brigham City, which the final point for the canal from high up the mouth of the canyon.

There's also some other diversions between RG and Crystal's,; it'll be nice to see this new gauge in action for a while to be able to figure out exactly what's going where.

Last edited by brianteats on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Math wrong, [130=(300-x)+y])
brianteats

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum