Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Yesterday at 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

» Provo based paddlers
by pinback8 Wed 08 Mar 2017, 11:21 am

» Weekly Paddling
by pinback8 Tue 14 Feb 2017, 7:40 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Release Schedule for 2017
by charliev Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:51 pm

» Weber River is running
by charliev Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

» Draft Report of the Pacificorp Relicensing of the Scrambled Eggs Diversion on the Weber
by npackham Fri 13 Jan 2017, 6:07 pm

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 643 registered users
The newest registered user is jporter59

Our users have posted a total of 7789 messages in 1717 subjects

Hen-Tag Up to 424 (and hopefully still rising)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hen-Tag Up to 424 (and hopefully still rising)

Post by Wil on Thu 10 May 2012, 4:17 pm

Hen-Tag has come up 325 CFS in the last 1.5 days, so hopefully it will keep going up. I was wondering at what level could a no load 18' cat get down it? It could float on 6" of water, but would need a decent width because of the 6' frame and the oars. And to one up that, an 18' cat that is captained by a not so experienced captain (my wife). I was hoping to kayak it, and would love if others could join in, and safety boat her down. She has done some Class III oaring on it, but always on runs she was familiar with. I'd probably run it first kayaking, so I knew the overall lay of the run, then would do a 2nd lap with her if I felt comfortable with her on it. If there is only a section or two that would be bad, I could always throw the kayak up on the cat, and get her down those sections.

Any advice, anyone want to join in on Sunday for a possible double lap (I have never done Hen-Tag either), let me know.

Wil

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hen-Tag Up to 424 (and hopefully still rising)

Post by Craig.Bilderback on Thu 10 May 2012, 4:27 pm

If flows hold, Hailey and I will be up Sunday for Hen-Tag. I'll probably be in Ogden Saturday and maybe Friday for laps on the Narrows.

I wonder what rafters from PC use as a min.

Craig.Bilderback

Paddling Since : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Thu 10 May 2012, 4:37 pm

Craig, sounds good. Even if it is too low for the cat, I would like to get out and make a scouting run down it on Sunday. I would love to get some laps on the Narrows, as that is a goal of mine this year (and to try and do the race), but I'm spending too much time enjoying the nice weather and great trail conditions.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig.Bilderback on Thu 10 May 2012, 4:46 pm

You'll probably regret not hopping on any localish boatable flows while you can. Very Happy

Ogden is going to have warmer weather than PC this weekend.

Craig.Bilderback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wyosam on Thu 10 May 2012, 5:37 pm

Anyone want to hit Hen-Tag tomorrow?

wyosam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 10 May 2012, 6:41 pm

Wil, 18' will be tough. Croyden bridge may be a portage at least. There was a thread about raft sizes for HenTag and BV
I found this with the search function on this site:
http://www.utrivers.com/t991-biggest-raft-able-to-paddle-raft-hentag-and-bv?highlight=raft+size

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Thu 10 May 2012, 9:33 pm

Craig.Bilderback wrote:You'll probably regret not hopping on any localish boatable flows while you can. Very Happy

Yeah, that probably will be true, but around mile 50 on the Point to Point mtn bike race, I probably will wonder why I didn't ride more.

Public PSA: Kids are good and fun to have around, and even more fun is the process of making them, but damn do they cut into your ability to get out.

PSA Over.

Bill, the guy who asked that question is truly one of the most accomplished kayakers on my street. There was some info about BV and someone said that the PC raft company runs 16ers down, but I have no idea if the level they run all season long is 425 or much higher. Just hoping someone could let me know if it is do-able.

We may have a backup plan of taking a paddle raft down.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by c-dub on Thu 10 May 2012, 9:49 pm

Based on a decade of experience seeing them on the water...4 bills on the gauge and coin in the pocket is all it will take. They may not even care about the gauge.
c-dub

Paddling Since : 74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Thu 10 May 2012, 11:11 pm

It still is on the rise, looks like it get up to at least 500 when it updates next.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wyosam on Fri 11 May 2012, 11:13 am

I'll probably be hanging around HenTag this afternoon looking for someone to boat with, if you're planning on hitting that and don't mind some noobish company, call or text 307, seven 6 oh, thirty-two eighty-six.

Sam

wyosam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri 11 May 2012, 4:30 pm

Wil, the bridge next to the railroad bridge is probably too low for clearancefaith a cat. I would definately drive down and check before you launch... Because the portage there I don't think would be easy with a cat. Just my 2c's. I hope I'm wrong though... Anyway, if I am, do a lap for me. Very Happy

Dave

Paddling Since : 09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun 13 May 2012, 12:50 am

You guys still going tomorrow? If so, what time? Would like to join if I can. Holler... For thre fiv 232 fiv thre ate thre. Chow Smile

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Sun 13 May 2012, 10:58 am

I doubt I will be making it, as it is the day of Mom's choice, and her choice is to go biking. If anyone would be down to do an after work run sometime this week, I can be there any day after 4:30.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 13 May 2012, 11:11 am

FYI, two of the three main channels under the Croyden Bridge are unpassable. There is a pipe hanging down at an angle across the downstream end of the bridge on the middle channel, and the bridge has collapsed on the downsteam edge of the far left channel creating a seive. You can see it pretty well from upstream, if you're paying attention. Slight bit of wood in the upper rock garden at the large pourover near the end of it.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig.Bilderback on Sun 13 May 2012, 12:02 pm

Hailey and I will be up there around noon.

Craig.Bilderback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun 13 May 2012, 1:00 pm

I might be 1215 or 1230. Just passing Brigham city now. See you soon. :-)

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum