Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Please Educate Me on Bridal Veil

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please Educate Me on Bridal Veil

Post by Wil on Tue 15 May 2012, 2:53 pm

I've been watching the BV gage the last couple of days, and I am wondering why it is fluctuating so much. I thought it was dam release, but it has fluctuated from 220 to currently 280 in the last 24 hours. Looks to be peaking in the late afternoon, so is this just all addition from the waterfalls, and whatever else is melting high up and finding it's way into the Provo?

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please Educate Me on Bridal Veil

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Tue 15 May 2012, 3:39 pm

FYI, the gauge is wrong. There is at least 600 cfs of fun going down the BV section right now. Its a really friendly/playful level.

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Tue 15 May 2012, 4:10 pm

Justin, is there another gage or combination of gages that should be used to know the flows?

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Tue 15 May 2012, 4:25 pm

The max amount the Olmstead dam (BV putin) can divert is 400 CFS. I dont think they always need/use that amount. So the min amount in BV, with 880 cfs coming out of Deer Creek, is 480 cfs. There is a small amount of water from the South Fork Provo and Sundance Canyon added to that.

The best gauge, which I have used since the first time running BV, is the cement pipe at the put in. The web-site gauge is more for general reference as its doesn't always reflect whats really there.

None the less, get down here before its gone, its a really good level right now!

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue 15 May 2012, 5:53 pm

Cap'n RedBeard wrote:FYI, the gauge is wrong. There is at least 600 cfs of fun going down the BV section right now. Its a really friendly/playful level.

It's that good right now? Seeing as how eddyflower is down, could someone give me the low-down on this section... hazards holes/wood, Thanks Smile
I am free to run this anytime after 430-ish, this week... Wil? Smile

Dave

Paddling Since : 09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Tue 15 May 2012, 8:36 pm

Dave and Wil, BV was super-duper fun on Sunday. I mean, realllly good! Its a must-do, especially this low-water season. Its more relaxing than the Ogden Narrows at 250; more "fluffy" whitewater than the upper Logan @350 (those are the levels I've paddled the Narrows and Logan this year). Weber runs like Hen-Tag, 89 to Rdale, or low water Eggs cannot be mentioned in the same sentence. As BV. alien Oh, and its way less serious than AF, which could also be worth a look if you are down that way and want a busy (but low, bumpy) IV+ workout.

Scout the crux, below Bridalveil falls, from the road (or the right bank below the road maybe); where the river turns left.
No serious wood; although that can change as always; there is a fair amount of easy wood avoidance. There was no wood in the crux, which is the most dangerous place for wood on that run I think. Easy to check the very first drop for wood; walk 50 feet and look.
If it gets much higher, the left hole in the first drop gets sticky. On Sunday it was a fun boof.

There is a nice line in the crux that goes tight right of the first rock, then tight left of the next rock; then right to avoid bumps...I did this for the first time last weekend by accident; since its where you end up if you are going down the middle and are late moving left :-)

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue 15 May 2012, 11:42 pm

wasatchbill wrote:Dave and Wil, BV was super-duper fun on Sunday... (bills whole post......)

I love this site. Thank you Bill. Smile

Dave

Paddling Since : 09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum