Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 650 registered users
The newest registered user is Beth Blattenberger

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Goathead removal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Goathead removal

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:06 pm

I noticed that goatheads were rather plentiful right around where all the cars were parked at Crystal wave yesterday. They seem to have really come out in the past couple weeks. They love the heat. You may know them as Puncture vine or devils thorn. They pop many a bike tire all summer; and they can do a number on bare feet also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
I picked a few dozen plants that had not set thorns yet. I got most of them right around the wave parking, but they are abundant upstream a hundred yards. Please keep your eyes out for these little buggers. They are a problem along the Ogden river bike path, and the Riverdale bike path. If anyone would like to join forces for a removal effort, let me know. Now is the time to get them out of anywhere you may have seen them in years past; before they set hundreds and hundreds of seed-thorns.
Cheers
Bill

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Goathead removal

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 8:32 pm

I picked another grocery bag full of thorns from right by the wave; amazing to me they grow so fast in there. Going to work on picking out more that are just upstream; headed over there in 30 min.
May also work on removing wood from the Wall Ave bridge. Come on out and cool off in the river, and lend a hand!
Cheers
Bill

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snwsrfr on Fri 27 Jul 2012, 7:11 pm

Hi all, my name is Adam and am new to the forum and relatively new to paddling. First off thanks to you Bill for the goathead removal. Nice to see people paying it forward. I really just started paddling last year and after many swims finally got my roll down... (I think) Surprised I really have to credit the fact that Crystal wave is so close and such a great little learning spot I feel fortunate to be here at a time with so much progression in O-town. On the subject I was down there a couple of days ago and one of the lil locals decided itd be cool to take his wal-mart BMX over the falls. Needless to say he bailed halfway through and resurfaced 15 feet down sans bike. After watching his buddies try to retrieve the bike with no luck I decided it would be in the best interest of all to fish it out. It took an effort as it was well lodged but after a couple of dives I fished it out. First off the kid was lucky he didnt hook up on the bike and fate the place to the likes of 24th st. Back hoe special. Or worse leave it there for some unsuspecting soul to get hangered. The tubing kids are the locals now but I think it would be great to have a regular contingency down there once a week to show support and justify the expense laid out for the kayak community. Anyway I can volunteer 1 eve per week to paddle and help improve it. Text best. Ate oh won-7too won-won3 ate won. Not sure why everybody encrypts but when in Rome...

snwsrfr

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 29 Jul 2012, 11:45 am

Its debatable if encrypting phone numbers on a public website will reduce the likelihood of a "harvesting bot" from finding it, resulting in you getting more spam phone calls; but that is the concern anyway.

Good work getting that bike out of there; that is a hazard I had not considered; although rebar is a similar problem in urban rivers that can usually be spotted and removed at lower water.

Anyone up for working on the Wall Ave bridge wood this afternoon?
Thinking 5PM; put in an hour of work, then paddle to the wave.
Cheers
Bill
8O1 6O8 1357

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: