Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

The goodness that is Murtaugh at 1800

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The goodness that is Murtaugh at 1800

Just ran it Sunday! a total hoot and still moderatly serious though i'm guessing not nearly as choked an pushy as normal flows. but duckblind is big and considerable with a 4+ (perhaps) S turn that has a curler trying to flip on the first turn of the "S".

Killer play wave within the first mile of the run that dwarfs the fun of Idaho connection (at least at this low level). Great retentive chunder pillow at the top. glassy bottom, not too steep so you don't perl in, but pretty committing. Like riverdale in flood, before it blew out except it's far less trashy. shame you have to do the whole run just surf this jem. a noob could attempt a loop on this thing without even knowing what just happened. And for the truly skillful.. . hmmm, where's amanda and steve, they'd freakin love this wave. . . just a foot or so lower in height as Lunch counter at 9k.

The doors 1 and 2 were totally shut down at this level, no flow, but 3 and 4 still looked stout. 3 had a must make boiler in it, crossing below the pourover drops.

Pare-a-dice: The waterfall (hope i've named the correct rapid) that gets up to maybe 9 ft in height, river right, with a 50' wide uniform, straight windowshading drop, looked possibly terminal to never-evers like Chris and I. Chris ran it's sneak, river right, just next to the large 15 ft high monster rock that splits the whole rapid up into two routes. In his Superstar, he had success, where it's not sticky. Immediately flipped once he took 3 or 4 strokes out into the boiling, uniform froth that extends 20-30 feet past waterfall til it hits the stout eddy line from the river left line that sweeps right around the huge rapid splitting 15 ft hi rock island.

I got the intro of my life to unpredictable tight, boat-wide-unreadable-boil-water-everywhere by running the drop that's surrounded on 3 sides, and tight. the one river left of the waterfall's center rock, on the sweeping turn to the right. Chris waited with rope as i dropped in and i definitely had my heart in my throat but after a moment of shock, kept my braces active and ran out the angry, pushy "spit-you-out" line that puts you out where you look up at the waterfall.
Interesting. .. far river right, the 9ish or so foot tall, 50 foot wide waterfall that Chris ran the sneak on, had a burly technical drop that was actually flushing. Far river right. would need a scout out of the boat first to see what you getting into.
For the brave or the foolish, you could run it and do well with the requisite skills. (Above my pucker/skill level).

A fun run! highly recommended - 1800 cfs. Stout class 4 even at this level.; with two 4+ drops at par-a-dice and duckblind, I would submit, in my limited years of kayaking.

For the truly nutty, a tandem canoe run with all the appropriate float bags and two very experienced class 4 paddlers would be a total hoot with definite swamps and spills and portages. . .. but us Utarrds don't seem to get into that much like my family does back in Minnesnowta. Holler if there's any interest in warming up on easier fare up on staircase or the main in the payette.
Paradice, duck blind, and one unnamed 7 ft. drop at the end of the whole run, would be tough to clear but conceivably do-able with practice.

Hope this write up was entertaining and/or helpful to low volume Murtaugh'ers. cheers.
Good times. . .

Last edited by telekopter2 on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

telekopter2

Paddling Since : 88

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

The goodness that is Murtaugh at 1800 :: Comments

Post on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:33 am by wolffgramm

nice!!! thanks for sharing. i think i'm heading that way!!

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum