Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

» Provo based paddlers
by pinback8 Wed 08 Mar 2017, 11:21 am

» Weekly Paddling
by pinback8 Tue 14 Feb 2017, 7:40 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Release Schedule for 2017
by charliev Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:51 pm

» Weber River is running
by charliev Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

» Draft Report of the Pacificorp Relicensing of the Scrambled Eggs Diversion on the Weber
by npackham Fri 13 Jan 2017, 6:07 pm

» Ogden River Clean UP
by wolffgramm Wed 12 Oct 2016, 11:07 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 643 registered users
The newest registered user is jporter59

Our users have posted a total of 7788 messages in 1716 subjects

Ogden Kayak Park

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ogden Kayak Park

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 4:06 pm

So, I ventured up to find the Ogden kayak park today, Took me a little while but I found it. Not much there at these levels.

What level on what guage does it become good for playing in?

I wasn't aware of the Riverdale kayak park until I got home and google mapped the river to see where I had been. It looks like a better spot.

What river level at what guage is it a fun place to go?

Displaced in the Desert

Paddling Since : 1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ogden Kayak Park

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 6:25 pm

RIP Riverdale

Your best luck with current flows is Crystals Wave on the Ogden River.

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

RIP Riverdale?

Blown out or posted as no tresspassing?

Where is this Crystals wave you speak of?

This is making me think even more that we need a play feature on the Jordon River in SLC.

I watch what they did for the olympics and think, that would be nice.

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yossarian on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:38 pm

The flows at Riverdale are just too low this time of year. I think it was designed to work at flows up around 1000 cfs or higher. Crystal wave is behind the Wal-Mart on the corner of 20th st. and Wall Avenue in Ogden. It's been a little low lately too (29 cfs), but it's risen to surfable levels in the last couple of days.

yossarian

Paddling Since : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:26 am

Guess I'll drive up again to look at these two spots, Riverdale and Crystal wave. Nothing like seeing for yourself.

I did see that there is a guage very near Crystal, that's a big help.

There used to be a drop on the Weber off of 84 by Cottonwood drive, is that still boatable?

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bencpeters on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 4:27 pm

I think riverdale was damaged by the high water last year too, so even at spring flows it's not good right now...

bencpeters

Paddling Since : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Augie on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 6:27 pm

Does anyone have any idea if Ogden city is going to repair the kayak park? They literally destroyed it last summer and now is the time to fix it before spring flows do even more damage. I tried contacting the city earlier this year and even offered assistance and money but no one ever replied back.

It sure seems odd to have a spot designated as a kayak park and even build an observation deck but not have any features worth getting wet for.Sad
Augie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:37 pm

In this day and age of little money I can only say "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

It will be up to us to be vocal enough to get this fixed. Ogden is still billing itself as a recreation destination, so we had better all remind them that the Kayak Park is part of this destination they speak of.

Same with Riverdale.

I don't think it would take much, a day or two max with a trackhoe and a couple of volunteers to tell them where to place the rocks again or some photo's of where they were last time should do it.

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 9:34 pm

You obviously don't understand the construction process. There is way more to it than that. It would be a few months worth of work. No contractor is going to let a bunch of kayakers running around mobile equipment drunk, high, and with no safety training. They created a hazard than could kill someone. Take this to KSL after the community gets together on it. It will be fixed then. Maybe we should plan some sort of a meeting. I am not talking about a meeting with nobodies such as my self that don't have a clue on how to build a kayak park. I am talking about with people like Nick, and Crystal, and anyone else that can bring something to the table. That is all.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 9:56 pm

Sorry I didn't see this question earlier... put out your torches and put away the pitchforks.

Ogden has already planned and awarded the contract to fix OPP to a contractor, now they are just working on funding it. The damage done earlier this year in the look for the 4 year old boys body would have had to be done to divert the water from the features to fix them. I believe that is way it was allowed, as a step forward to fix the features and a show that the city was doing something to help find the body.

Ref Riverdale Wave, its my understanding that the city of Riverdale (thanks to our earlier efforts of calling/emailing prior to certain new faces showing up on this forum) claimed the feature in the insurance claim ref the high water damage to the ball field and the brand spanking new trail along the river, both of which sustained major damage from the high water. I heard that the claim was approved but the trail and the ball field have to be fixed prior to Riverdale wave.

There isn't enough water flowing to make either feature work well... OPP isn't horrible at low flow but oh well. At least they are working on getting it fixed.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 10:39 pm

They are working on the ball field area now.

I didn't know it was moved around to help find that little boy.

Bad time, that was.

I was out of town during the tragedy. I was in South Florida touring the northern Everglades.

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:30 am

Made it down to Howards Hole for a look see.

Nice. Well, not really at these levels, but I can see where with more water it could be a good play spot.

I'd like to see several more like it on the river.

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum