Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

» Provo based paddlers
by pinback8 Wed 08 Mar 2017, 11:21 am

» Weekly Paddling
by pinback8 Tue 14 Feb 2017, 7:40 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Release Schedule for 2017
by charliev Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:51 pm

» Weber River is running
by charliev Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

» Draft Report of the Pacificorp Relicensing of the Scrambled Eggs Diversion on the Weber
by npackham Fri 13 Jan 2017, 6:07 pm

» Ogden River Clean UP
by wolffgramm Wed 12 Oct 2016, 11:07 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 643 registered users
The newest registered user is jporter59

Our users have posted a total of 7788 messages in 1716 subjects

Who is Displaced in the Desert ????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who is Displaced in the Desert ????

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 1:40 am

Popped up out of no where with little knowledge of the local scene. Who are you do tell?
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is Displaced in the Desert ????

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 9:38 am

I am a 23 year resident of Salt Lake City.

I am 56 yrs old, 245 lbs and 6'1" tall with brown hair (balding spot on top) and blue eyes.

I bought my first kayak at the age of 16, a Lettman Mark III, which was later used as a base mold for the Apple line of kayaks founded in a barn at the end of the dead end dirt road I was raised on. I went on to own an Apple Strudle and Dumpling along with a C-1 which was called the zoomer. I also owned an Otter open canoe during that period.
I also served in the United States Marine Corps seeing no combat action in my 4 years and was discharged honorably as a Corporal.

Before moving to Salt Lake I guided in Maine, NY and PA. I am a founding member of the NYSOGA, and ACA trained. I have over 1000 descents of the Hudson river Gorge and 200 descents of the Moose River with first descents of Otter Slide and Lyons Falls to my credit. I also guided on the Penebobscot, Kennebec and Dead Rivers in Maine as well as the Lehi in PA. I also taught flyfishing for Orvis and operated a fishing charter boat and hunting guide service while living in Lake Placid.
My educational background is in Fsih and Wildlife management from FMCC and Wilderness Recreation Leadership with an incomplete AS from NCCC.
After moving west (to ski for a year) I and my wife guided the Snake river through Hells Canyon and the Middle and Lower Salmon. In the winters she taught skiing at Deer Valley and I drove Sno-cat. She has been a full Cert ski instructor for 15 years and still teaches at DV. Her fathers former ski resort is featured in a new book titled "Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks".

After several yrs we decided to have a family and I gave up guiding to start a construction company. Accolade Construction was successful (gaining tons of track hoe experience) and we were also successful in having a family. With young children the whitewater boats were sold and motor boats replaced them, for safety concerns.

A few years ago we began to accumulate touring and recreation kayaks with my son getting his first at his 9th birthday. I have a weakness for boats and currently own 4 kayaks, 1 ski boat, 1 raft, 1 drift boat, 1 canoe and recently sold a pontoon.

My love of white water has never left me and a few years ago I began to dabble in it again with a run down the Snake from Hagerman to Bliss while on a sturgeon fishing trip. (I'm an avid fisher too). This really got my juices flowing again and I scheduled a trip on the Murtagh section for July of last year. It was cancelled by the outfitter because of 20,000 cfs flows. Not to be deterred I began to search out places to have fun. This year, again determined to get back into whitewater I began to make runs on the Weber from Rockport to Echo and from Echo to Morgan.

I am a Boy Scout assistant scoutmaster and 2 weeks ago we spent a weekend at Morgan Golf and Camping resort making 4 runs from Hennefer to Taggert teaching basics of white water in duckies, rafts canoes and kayaks.

I am a member of USAC and during the years after the Conatser decision lobbied heavily for stream access rights.

I do want to get back into whitewater in a big way for a few more years before my body gives out so I have been seeking places and craft to do that in.

This year my focus over the next several months will be to attend college again learning web development and SEO methods. I also will be teaching a middle school class on government and the method to change laws during which I will lead students through the process to try to get a change made to an existing law that currently allows non profits to take kids aged 12 and 13 fishing without them having to buy a license. The law does not currently cover public school kids on outings which we discovered when we took 90 kids to Jordonelle res state park last week for a public service project picking up trash.

I like music by the Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, outlaw country, southern rock and Phish. I enjoy good food, grits smashed up in soft eggs with shrimp. I love lobster and a good steak.

Now you know who I am.

Can I be of any help to you? My time is limited but I am willing to help others when ever I can.

Now if I am not the kind of person you want around or involved with what you have going on here, be sure to speak up about that as well and I'll just lurk and do my own thing on my own.

Who are you?

Last edited by Displaced in the Desert on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Displaced in the Desert

Paddling Since : 1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 1:09 pm

I remember a few years ago when everyone was asking "Who the hell is this FSM guy?"

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:23 pm

I was asking myself that this morning.

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:49 pm

Hi Displaced-
Daniel (FSM) is quite similar to his tagline:
"I am really not an asshole. I just play one on Utrivers.com"
alien

I have a spare creeker you can use; if we had any water :-)
Might even sell the Villain, since I am tired of having no room whatsoever in my shed.
The beater Nomad 8.5 gets the most use anyway.
I have spare paddles, skirts, pfd. You'd need to come up with a helmet. My spare drytops have bad gaskets; if you want to replace a neck and wrist gasket, you can have an NRS top.
Cheers
Bill

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 4:23 pm

Thanks Bill, mighty kind of you to offer.

I've got 4 paddles mostly touring, but at least one is strong enough for WW. I've got several PFD's of different styles. My current favorite is a shorty, but there are no places for my knife on it.

I'll get a helmet, if I can find an old WWII german officers that would be my first choice:lol: . I'll gear up before spring with the needed personal stuff but thanks for the offer. I may want to fix the gaskets just because it's been so long, you know for parctice and laughs, but skirts are pretty much boat specific, aren't they?

Or do you get one for the boat and pick a size from them to fit your waist? Cockpits have changed alot since I boated last.

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

The Jacksons seem to be an XL deck; the tunnel is per your waist (mine are large I think; I'm 6'3", 200 lbs). Some large tunnels are larger than others.
I have a Monstar that is also an XL deck. That is a huge Jackson playboat rated up to ~300 lbs. Welcome to try it.
The Nomad, and others tend to be a L deck.
I guess you can get more specific with the skirt style and boat model, to minimize leaking.
There will be kayak polo in Ogden and elsewhere this winter, and also kayak nights at the Layton wave pool, which is a blast.
There is also the Green River daily, and Westwater on the Colorado, and a couple other things still going.
Ive been thinking about the Malad in ID. Short but sweet.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 10:23 pm

It was not to be rude. Just wondering who you were. You seem like a neat guy, and would love to hear your stories of boating back in the day. You seem like a cool dude.
I am a 25 year old guy that has been boating a little over 3 years. ACA Level IV instructor. I love this sport, and meeting new people. I am a safety supervisor for an industrial company. I paddle a New Wave Big Foot squirt boat, Liquid Logic Remix 79, and Remix Stinger, Prijion Tornado, and 13'2" fiberglass Pheniox. I would like to meet you one day. Thanks for all the info. Smile
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 12:13 am

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, but I'm only buying one drink each.santa

I read your blog site, you sound like me 30 years ago. The Nat, Cheat, Gauley, Ohiopyle falls any river, any time...

Glad to hear you're an ACA instructor, I need to take some classes again and I am currently looking for an ACA cert person to be a Whitewater Merit Badge Counselor for the BSA GSL Council, pleeeeeeeease? At least consider it.

Notice I'm not afraid to ask for things, that's how I get what I'm working towords done.

Again, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you all.

Lean Downstream!

Jim

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 2:03 am

Yep I was certified by Jimmy Holcombe himself. An early pioneer in the sport, and one of the guys that wrote the book for instructors. I flew to the NOC to take it from him, and I will never regret it.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:19 pm

PM'ed you Jim

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content