Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 650 registered users
The newest registered user is Beth Blattenberger

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Catered snowshoeing trips in the Wasatch this winter, Idaho packrafting trips during the summer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Catered snowshoeing trips in the Wasatch this winter, Idaho packrafting trips during the summer

Post by scotticus on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 8:44 pm

Nothing local to paddle right now. Do you think this might be a good way to make extra cash during this time? $50 per day per a person pays for guided service, snowshoe rental, trekking poles, 60 Liter backpack, three square meals a day (dehydrated dinners), eating equipment, fuel, tent or tarp, sleeping bag, bivy sack, mattress, first aid kit, and some other neccesary camping gear. I have alot of extra outdoors gear just sitting in my storage unit waiting to be used. I could use the cash, and am looking for an enjoyable way to spend my time until I hopefully start paddling again in March. I can provide these items for up two other people. Also, I'd like to get more packrafts sometime for hike in/out trips up in Idaho. Anyone have interest out there? Recommendations for creating a successful business out of this?

scotticus

Paddling Since : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Catered snowshoeing trips in the Wasatch this winter, Idaho packrafting trips during the summer

Post by scotticus on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:59 pm

I would want it to be a low profit enterprise known as a L3C, just a step above non profit service, so that more people will be able to enjoy the services, not just the wealthy. Most snowsheing/hiking guide services charge a few hundred dollars just for a day trip or less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L3C

scotticus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Catered snowshoeing trips in the Wasatch this winter, Idaho packrafting trips during the summer

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:04 pm

its ok to be "for profit". Really. alien

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snwsrfr on Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:18 pm

Hey Scotticus I would be interested in doing a trip or two this season. I have been living here in Utah for a few years now and spending my winters snowboarding up around Ogden. Mostly resort riding at Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. Riding lots of "sidecountry" I do have snowshoes but they may not be right for your trips I dont know. Anyway I would like to get more exposure to overnighters/camping and some survival/avy skills as well. Do you have any set itineraries for this season?

snwsrfr

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotticus on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 6:59 pm

Snowsurfer, I have one set trip in Provo area:

Activity: strenuous snowshoe ascent to the Upper Hammongog (a glacial cirque above the city of Alpine). For directions go to http://www.summitpost.org/school-house-springs/343564 We will begin with an 9:00 a.m. start at a residential parking area in Alpine at 5200 ft. From there we will hike/snowshoe along a switchbacking jeep road and trail in a very minimal avalanche risk area to the base camp at a glacial cirque known as the Second Hammongog at 8500 ft. From there you have outstanding views of all of Utah Valley, bring your camera! The second day we will explore surrounding terrain below the majestic Lone Peak, and practice various survival skills stuff. Then descend back to civilization on the third day. Bring what gear you desire, but I will be have available the above mentioned gear and food in my previous post. You will be responsible for clothing. Please let me know of any health concerns including food allergies upon RSVP. Price will be $150 dollars, unrefundable. If interested, email me at scotticus80@gmail.com

Other than that trip, I dont have any more set in stone itineraries yet. So my schedule is otherwise wide open to providing guide service anywhere along the Wasatch Front from Brigham City down to Santaquin, The Oquirrh Mountains, and the Stansbury Mountains. I would like to cater to the type of adventure that my customers request: whether relaxing day trips, up to challenging seven day wilderness excursions. I still need to gain expertise in the use of avalanche gear, my avy abilities are limited to identifying threatful avalanche areas and conditions, then avoiding those areas during times of risk.

scotticus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snwsrfr on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:29 pm

Hey Scott thanks for the reply. The trip sounds fantastic and very reasonably priced especially with the gear and meals provided. I may be interested in going sometime this winter and will definately send notice to your e-mail if Im planning to get down that way.

As I mentioned I could use some experience with winter camping and am particularly interested in Avalanche training and information regarding ascent/decents on skis or snowboard some of the peaks around Ogden. I have identified some interesting routes on the West side of Mount Ogden and also am interested in Ben Lomond. Any info regarding these topics would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email=ads56@hotmail]ads56@hotmail[/email]. Thanks again and hope to get a trip later this season.

snwsrfr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotticus on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 9:59 pm

Earlier this summer I hiked to the top of Mount Ogden via Malans Basin trail. It looked like a good ski descent. If you access Mount Ogden from Snowbasin, ski down the west facing bowl from the summit. at 6800 feet at the bottom of the bowl there is a trail that heads up the ridge to about 7000 ft to the north. Then it takes you down to 27th S.

scotticus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:51 am

We would need a decent snowpack down to 4500 feet to get out to 27th street. Depending on where you exit the Snowbasin boundary, you can get into serious avalanche terrain immediately. The lower slopes above North Fork Park (lower Ben Lomond on the east side) are safer.
Read the avi forecast daily once it starts snowing again. There are lots of free resources out there.
http://utahavalanchecenter.org/advisory/salt-lake#simple
http://utahavalanchecenter.org/advisory/salt-lake#advanced
http://utahavalanchecenter.org/tutorials

If you get down to Big Cottonwood, check out the USA bowl area across the road from Solitude, before it gets developed into a Ski-Link.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snwsrfr on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

Thanks for the input Bill. Have done a number of hikes (dry season) on the west side including Beuss, Waterfall, Malans, Hidden Val and Coldwater. Also have done a fair bit of riding in HC through the gate during winter. Probably exposed myself more than I should considering my limited equipment and knowledge of avy/rescue training. Will shortcut those sites to my desktop and get more educated. Meanwhile praying for Snow!

snwsrfr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum