Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

RIP Ogden Kayak Park

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RIP Ogden Kayak Park

Post by Augie on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

I stopped by the OPP on Friday and took a look at things. I hate to be cynical, but what are the people on the kayak observation deck going to look at?
The river channel is higher than the diversion they cut last summer and never repaired. I am not an expert river hydrologist but I am thinking something bad is going to happen to the park when the spring flows come. I would think that as soon as the river finds that lower channel this spring it will wash out part of the island and leave the second and third drops high and dry. It will probably send most of the flow at the first drop to the river left side and be very hard to change back once it finds that lower channel. I hope I'm wrong and the city will do something soon. If not, they have built a really nice observation deck for people to watch the homies go swimming.
Augie

Paddling Since : 1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Ogden Kayak Park

Post by snwsrfr on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

That doesn't sound good. If memory serves me correctly Jeff Young mentioned that the city planned to repair both the Ogden and Riverdale kayak parks this spring?
As a relative newcomer Im not politcally active or connected here in Ogden but am fully invested and was drawn here by the abundance of outdoor/adventure opportunities which the city lays claim to. Not least of which are in fact the kayak parks.
Hopefully the city plans to restore these unique assets soon. If I/we can do anything to help. Volunteer or letter writing I would be willing to get involved.

snwsrfr

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 7:31 pm

Yup, that was the city's plan. I'll see if they have any updates.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by unattendedboat on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 8:29 pm

Im not huggin rocket scientist, but im pretty sure the water runs the highest in the spring, they should be down there right now with the 15 cfs making changes, not waiting till spring trying to divert 800 cfs.
unattendedboat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:24 am

I think we should have raised hell while they still had the heavy equipment there to fix their mistake. I am willing to bet that it will not get fixed. Utah doesn't give two shits about kayaking.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 1:52 am

Yawn- that wasnt a mistake (the diversion) it was needed to divert flow to be able to work on the features (eventually). A feeble attempt at 'raising hell' would have only caused strife between boaters and the city of Ogden. And... "Utah" doesn't give two shits? Grow the hell up Daniel.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:19 am

When other states are sinking millions into new projects Utah will tie a little bit into another project. Crystal's wave is neat, and everything, but far from anything that has been done in other places. Riverdale, and OPP are both old. They haven't done much to improve or maintain either.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TyUSU on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 3:30 am

Your right Daniel. I think we need a park like the one up in Boise. The only set back is that it took them about 10ish years and about $4M to finish phase 1 of it. Utah cares about kayaking, but I really doubt the city or state has a huge surplus of money to spend on us at the moment. Besides, who isnt content with front surfing at crystal anyway? Its like a shop and surf all in the same location. Try pulling that off in Boise
TyUSU

Paddling Since : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Augie on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:56 am

I coulda swore that I just saw an announcement where the city is building a NEW bike park in the foothills by Ogden Canyon. Shocked

oh yeah, here's a quote from the article;

While the crew of volunteers has put plenty of muscle into the park, they’ve had some big help from the city. Ogden leased the 46-acre parcel of land from the landowner, and in an effort to fast-track the park’s construction, the city has even provided access to city equipment like backhoes and trail cats—along with certified operators—to help transform dirt and rock into jumps, trails and features. So far, Jones said that there have been three all-out machine days, where city equipment has been put to full use.
Augie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by npackham on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 1:10 pm

I was at a meeting last night with Ogden's parks and recreation committee. These were the points brought up by Ogden's parks department head, at least as I interpreted things:

1) The park was one of the first parks built. It was done as things were done back then, before they knew what it takes to minimize erosion over time. Now days, everyone knows these parks need to be built bigger and stronger, and that they take more money. Ogden went through that with the Ogden river restoration which cost several million dollars.

2) The issues with the flow directed at the retaining wall on river right keep coming up. They don't want to keep pointing the river at that wall. The channelling you describe, done while searching for the boy, is more along the lines of where they want things to go long term. The island will probably have to be removed to get the river away from that road on river right. That means the second and third drops are going to change.

3) Nothing is going to be done until after spring runoff. The runoff is expected to not be huge anyway since Echo is empty and the snowpack isn't above average, though that all depends on spring temperatures of course.

4) There are plans for reworking the drops and directing the river more to the left side but when they're done, they'll be done right. It will take a lot of money.

In my opinion, yes, there will probably be some more damage done to the park this spring, and that things are going to get worse before they get better. Maybe you're right and those last drops will be high and dry. You can bet though that it won't be forgotten. There are currently three paddlers appointed by the city council to this committee. We haven't been having regular meetings lately but we're starting regular meetings again, the purpose of which are to relay your concerns to the parks and recreation department. Please let me know if there is anything you'd like me to bring up at our next meeting.

npackham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Augie on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 1:20 pm

Thanks for the update. I appreciate all that you do. Thanks.

I guess it's not dead yet. Just sort of a self-induced coma. Smile
Augie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Fri 22 Feb 2013, 4:05 pm

Looks like we can all count on another super shitty season, and tons of mandatory trips to Idaho a real whitewater state. Overall we should just count on the water never flowing again then if by some crazy chance it does we can leave work early to get on the narrows at 275cfs. Damn I need to look for employment in Idaho or the PNW.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snwsrfr on Sun 24 Feb 2013, 5:59 pm

OOOOO-WEEEE. That last couple feet of blower pow we got this weekend really FREAKIN PUMPED MY NADS. Hope to be re-"surfin" it in the canyon this spring:D

snwsrfr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brightonb on Mon 18 Mar 2013, 6:44 pm

I bet if we had a bunch more boaters as involved as Nate, we could get a lot more done. Bikers put in a lot of hours in to get their trails approved and then built. A significant group effort. Ogden has funded 3 different kayak sites, pretty damn good considering the lack of water and lack of cohesive effort by boaters. Until I get my head out and do more, I'm not going to complain too much.

brightonb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum