Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Let the NPS know your thoughts on the Virgin River.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let the NPS know your thoughts on the Virgin River.

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 2:53 pm

From AW
"Utah - The National Park Service and the Bureau of Land Management are developing a Comprehensive River Management Plan for the Virgin Wild and Scenic River. As paddlers, our input on what makes the Virgin River and its tributaries outstandingly remarkable will help protect this river system for the benefit and enjoyment of future generations.

This is the key opportunity for you to share your ideas with NPS/BLM and provide input to guide the agencies in the planning effort. It is important that we hear from you about your desired future for the Virgin River and its tributaries through Zion National Park and adjacent Bureau of Land Management Wilderness. We would like to hear your concerns about the river corridor. It would be most helpful to the planning team to understand the reasons for your likes and dislikes or your values and concerns. This is the kind of feedback that will help us formulate the best possible future for the Virgin River and its tributaries."

The NPS has made a form for people to share their input about the Virgin River, and its tributaries. Personally I would hate to see the Virgin River closed to boating.

Here is the form NPS has set up...
http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?parkID=113&projectID=32068&documentID=36690

Last edited by Cap'n RedBeard on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong link)

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Let the NPS know your thoughts on the Virgin River.

Post by dman on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:31 am

I hate to dredge up an older post but can anyone tell me the current status of the NPS on Virgin River. My friend and I just discovered Kayaking here in Southern Utah (been right under my nose for 20 yrs) and after investing a wad of dough on gear I would hate to find that the only water we have within a short drive could be off limits or restricted.f

Also if anyone knows of like minded people in Southern Utah I could love to be able to talk to them. Noobies need lots of help!

Thanks, Dustin

dman

Paddling Since : yest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

Hi Dustin,
There are some Virgin River run descriptions here. You need a permit [edit: for the ones in the park; not hard to get afaik].
http://www.eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx?StateId=2#/home
The first half of the Zion Park run could be a good one for you, although spring runoff is over now.
Wait until you're a solid boater for the Virgin Narrows; rescues are epic in there; rumor has it there is alot of wood (possibly not true, but constantly changing). Flow must be under 600 for them to issue permits.
The Sevier is down south, check it out.
Idaho, Colorado, WY etc run all year, if you really want to paddle. Check out the Main Payette in ID, or the Snake below Jackson. The closest whitewater for you now might be the Colorado near Glenwood Springs; Shoshone, Grizzly to New Castle, play wave in Glenwood, etc.
http://www.eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx?StateId=1#/home
SYOTR
Bill

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dman on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:35 pm

Thanks Bill. I grew up on the Green and Snake during the summers as a kid running rafts and canoes and have some fond memories of both areas in and out of the water. I did a short run on the Virgin the other day with a friend for our birhtdays on a couple of cheap Sot's at about 150 cfs and had a ball. Just brought back a lot of good feeling of the power and flow the river has and how much I missed it. I saw the post and worried that I had missed or lost a good thing right under my nose.

dman

Paddling Since : yest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:42 pm

DMAN. Love this post. It is the Why? and answer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum