Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 650 registered users
The newest registered user is Beth Blattenberger

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

New member, just learning, help me choose kayak

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New member, just learning, help me choose kayak

Post by downhill_biker on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 3:10 pm

My wife and I are just getting back into kayaking. She is decent, I'm a newbie. We want to do light trekking and light rivers. We want storage for camping, and I would like to do a lot of fishing. My question is, should I get a fishing kayak and use it for other stuff, or should I get a light trekking kayak and use pole holders for fishing?

downhill_biker

Paddling Since : Newb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New member, just learning, help me choose kayak

Post by downhill_biker on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 3:17 pm

I was leanning toward a fishing kayak with removable pedal propulsion, but worried it wouldn't work if I wanted to kayak weber river or eventually green river.

downhill_biker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 12:36 am

Those Hobies are big bucks!

You could get a decent fishing kayak and a river kayak for what a pedal power rig would cost.

Displaced in the Desert

Paddling Since : 1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by downhill_biker on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 12:46 am

Ya, I've done more research and been to more stores, right now I'm liking the,moken 10 light or moken 12.5. I'll be doing manual paddling...

downhill_biker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:15 pm

Flatwater- http://nativewatercraft.com/
Same company as Liquid Logic.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:13 am

First let me qualify my statements, I own 3 kayaks, a canoe, a raft and a 19' powerboat.

I like fishing from the kayak, it's a big 13.5.  I have it set up with a depth sounder, multiple rod holders, a big milk crate and a place for a cooler.  It works well.  The only drawback is getting in and out and that after several hours I get cramped up.

The canoe I have is a small single person super light weight model.
Given the chance I would not have the fishing kayak and would instead have a bigger canoe to fish from.  A canoe can hold more and is easier to move about in.  Bigger cooler, more tackle, a second person, easier to stand up in, easier to get in and out and if you want you can even put a small motor on it. They also hold more gear and can be outfitted with floatation and a cover.
Just a better all around fishing machine, IMHO.

For rivers, a kayak is better, any "fishing" kayak is not going to be very good for river.  Fishing kayaks are meant to be big and stable and to track well.  In a river this will put you sideways unless you are moving faster than the current or facing upstream or sitting in an eddy.

For rivers, you want a "river" kayak, one with rocker so it turns and spins easy, not tracks well.  For UT rivers you want something that can play, as our most usable rivers are short and not big water.  You want to be able to surf, do endo's, squirts, spalts and things like that to keep it fun.  This means a bottom that has some flatness and ends that have a flat top rather than a round top meant to repel water.
 Round top boats meant to repel water are more for class 3 and above where you don't want the boat to submarine.  Round top boats are best for big water decents during run-off or up in WY or ID.  They don't have flat bottoms because you don't want them to surf unexpectedly.
If you're good enough to do flips and cartwheels, then you want an even more specailized kayak designed for rodeo work. 

Now, if you are good enough, like some paddlers on this site, you can make about any boat work about anywhere. But they will also be the guys who own several kayaks, of several types, designed for several specific purposes.

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dman on Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:48 pm

If you want a good all arounder, look at the Liquid logic XP 10.  Jack of all trades and master of none.  I did my first white water trip down the sevier river last week and it treated me really well considering I have absolutely no  experience on the river in a kayak.  I use is all the time to fish with on lakes and rigged up with a rod holder it has done very well.  There is one on KSL with a spray skirt for $625 and if I didn't already own two I'd snatch it up.

dman

Paddling Since : yest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by downhill_biker on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 8:34 am

Thanks for all the great info. I ended up getting a boat at backcountry. I got the Feelfree Moken 12.5. It is a great fishing boat and I think will meet my needs on a river or on a lake.

I should have told you guys that I am 6'9" and 300 lbs. I also wanted to steer clear of sit in kayaks as I am somewhat claustrophobic. I don't know that I have interest in stunts on the river. I just want to maneuver safely down the river. I would say my wife and I are more interested in going river trekking. We want to get dropped off a hundred or so miles up river and kayak down and camp along tge way. If I fall off my boat I'll just float past the rapids and get back on when it's safe. No big deal. I don't plan on doing anything crazy.

downhill_biker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:20 am

I would suggest a couple of days on a lake, Little dell is close and no power boats, just to get used to the boat.  Then maybe a trip on the Jorden.  It is also very close and has enough moving water to give you the feel.
From there try ther Weber from the Railroad bridge down to Taggert falls.  It has more current and riffles, but nothing big and long with only a couple of easy drops.

One thing in Utah is that there are not a lot of places to do the kind of trekking you have described.  There are some, they require a permit in advance and the shuttles are hard unless your going in a group with multiple vehicles.

Since you like to fish I would suggest the South Fork of the Snake as a must do.  Swan Valley put in and from there down to just above Heise.  Take I-15 to Idaho Falls then 26 to Swan Valley. 
It's more of an overnighter that can be streched to a couple of days, but the fishing is world class.  There is camping along the river.
There is a shuttle service in Swan Valley, called Julies, that will take your car from the put in to the take out for you.

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by downhill_biker on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:35 am

Thanks! That all sounds amazing. I think I'm going to try the Jordan tomorrow, then do provo monday. I'm excited for threw fishing trip you mentioned, that sounds great.

Any chance anyone wants to go out with a newbie on Sunday on Jordan? My wife works but I'm dying to get out and going alone isn't safe.

downhill_biker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by downhill_biker on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:35 am

Thanks! That all sounds amazing. I think I'm going to try the Jordan tomorrow, then do provo monday. I'm excited for threw fishing trip you mentioned, that sounds great.

Any chance anyone wants to go out with a newbie on Sunday on Jordan? My wife works but I'm dying to get out and going alone isn't safe.

downhill_biker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 9:25 pm

I would, but I'm doing the Mt. Biking shuttles tomorrow up to the top of Guardsman pass.
They only run on even days.
Today would have been good.  My son and I were looking for something to do.

Displaced in the Desert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum