Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Hen/Tag open again yet?
by Displaced in the Desert Sat 26 Jul 2014, 6:49 pm

» Seeking Paddle Buddy for a Few Outings Before I Move to CA
by desert rat Fri 25 Jul 2014, 10:49 pm

» Three kayaks for sale
by deruffner Fri 18 Jul 2014, 9:07 am

» Weberizing July 12 or 13?
by Displaced in the Desert Tue 15 Jul 2014, 5:29 am

» 2 Kayaks for Sale
by LarryS Mon 14 Jul 2014, 4:42 pm

» sea kayak 15 ft current design
by alrag Mon 14 Jul 2014, 7:18 am

» whitewater kayak jackson allstar
by alrag Mon 14 Jul 2014, 7:15 am

» 24th of July Payette car pool
by bobbie777 Sat 12 Jul 2014, 7:15 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 577 registered users
The newest registered user is deruffner

Our users have posted a total of 7690 messages in 1659 subjects

Sage advice for newbie or inexperienced kayakers

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sage advice for newbie or inexperienced kayakers

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:48 pm

Also clip them in your boat so the rope shakes down into the bag, not out of it.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since: 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o on Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:09 am

Compton Boater wrote:
TAKE YOUR ROPE WITH YOU EVERY TIME YOU SCOUT.

Yeah, I felt like an idiot filming with the handheld cam without my rope when she was in the hole. It's a pretty straight foward line with a boof on the right, but she totally missed it and went middle. Things like this can happen and you need to have your rope with you.

PeruH2o

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by athunell on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 5:30 pm

I'd like to also stress the importance on knowing how to use a throw rope. I had an experience on the Murtaugh at high water when i got stuck in a ledge hole and took a ride i hope i never take again. I was in my boat for a while trying to get out of the hole and expended all my energy. When I pulled my skirt, my arms felt like spaghetti noodles. I was then recirculated a couple times and came the closest to drowning that day than i ever have. When a rope was thrown my way, the paddler tossed the whole thing at me and didn't hold on to one end. Lucky for me i was spit out of the hole and i had some help from friends in boats, but i'll never forget watching and feeling a huge relief seeing that i was going to get a rope tossed to me. That emotion quickly dissipated when the whole throw bag landed right next to me and i was left swimming down river some more.

Moral of the story, whitewater safety is key. Know what you'd do in certain situations and always consider the risks involved with what you're paddling. We're all in between swims and sooner or later we will be dependent on the skills of those we boat with, and they will be dependent upon ours.

athunell

Paddling Since: 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

Also take a swift water rescue coarse, and get trained in CPR. You never know when a two day swift water rescue coarse, and a three hour CPR class could save a fellow boaters life. One thing I am going to start carrying is a small first aid kit, and a CPR mask in my PFD.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since: 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tuffshed on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:08 pm

Surf, surf, surf your brains out. Don't look down on small waves just because your more experience buddies pass them by, surf them. They are a great way to learn control of your kayak, how to edge, how to carve, where to place your weight side to side or fore/aft, how to brace and steer, how to scull, every basic skill you are going to need for playboating or creeking or serious big water you can learn on a 6 inch wave. If you can't stay on a small wave, how do you expect to pilot your boat through a rapid with control? Once you have those skills down on small stuff try bigger waves or small holes until you have them licked. Don't try to surf holes till you have your skills on waves, holes have different skills you need to master, walk before you run. One minute on a wave is equivalent to running 10 rapids or more. As a beginner you should never pass up a small wave that you can surf. Soon it will become second hand where to put your paddle or how to place your weight when you encounter a feature in a rapid... all learned from that little wave. When I started kayaking my nickname was the "Microwave Surfer" as I would surf everything and I'm sure that is what helped me gain confidence in my paddle and boat.

tuffshed

Paddling Since: 1985

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Displaced in the Desert on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

If you get to a put in and there are people with more scratches on their boat than you have, saying they are not going because of conditions, high, low, what ever, decide to have a picnic instead.

Displaced in the Desert

Paddling Since: 1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum