Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Dirty Devil

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dirty Devil

Post by scotticus on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 10:32 pm

I tried to do a write up for EddyFlower after running it this past week, but for some reason was not permitted. Anyway, here is the river description for anyone interested and so that that I can record it till I can figure this out.

This is a very beautiful and remote desert gorge run, a favorate hangout of Butch Cassidy and other outlaws. Also, the local sheriff claims that they will not attempt search-and-rescue operations in this canyon. That said, this canyon is still well worth while for those that brave its depths. Sandstone cliffs tower hundreds of feet over you; the canyon rims reach up to 2,000 feet above the river. During rain showers, hundreds of falls from overhanging walls plummet directly into the river, dramatically raising the river level by several feet which was a pleasure to run. Normally it flows at a few dozen cfs. During the late winter and early spring, the flows will increase to 100-200 cfs before water gets diverted for irrigation around the first of April. But all it takes is a constant drivel of rain for about a day or two to raise the flow to a high level. In fact, the flows can and have reached upwards of 30,000 cfs. Up-rooted tamarasks caught-up 30 feet above the river at the Poison Springs gage attest to this. Mid canyon, the gradient picks up a little with a few class two rapids at moderate flows, and really grindy rapids at under 200 cfs. But I recall a short but fun class III rapid about ten miles below the Poison Springs gage. At extremely high water, there is a rumored class V+ hole near the bottom of the run, and the whole canyon has been run in a single day. But normally the canyon is a flat low-water float. At minumum levels, the first two days will be a float-and-drag for you, and there will be much quicksand to trudge through. I'd recommend bringing river boots that won't get sucked off and lost. The river gets progrossively more channelized after day two. And then maybe twenty miles of occasional pool-drop rapids. In this area the river bed consists of large angular gravel cemented into a matrix of clay, which will tear up the bottom of cheap inflatables. The 76 mile run will take you three to six days to run, aside from hiking excursions. There are many hiking options in the various slot canyons accessable from the river. Truly, this is a wonderful river adventure.

scotticus

Paddling Since : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dirty Devil

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Dec 2010, 10:43 am

Scott,

You make me sad that it's winter and I'm up north instead of in the desert with mud on my feet, a sunburn on my face, redrocks in my sight, and a river under my ass. Nice write up. I can try and add it to eddyflower if you continue to have problems.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum