Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

RW parking lot and trail access closed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RW parking lot and trail access closed

Post by Augie on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:07 pm

What kind of BS is this? There is yellow tape that blocks access and no trespassing signs at the RW parking lot. The sign says emergency trail closure. Right when the river gets good the city tries to protect us from ourselves? Why is the world ruled by lawyers and liability concerns? Just because someone in power doesn't understand our abilities they do this stupid move. Hey let's shut down the Grand Canyon and the Middle Fork of the Salmon too since someone might get hurt there. Maybe we better close down the Bear release this weekend too.

Last edited by Augie on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Augie

Paddling Since : 1973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: RW parking lot and trail access closed

Post by Jeff Young on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

The big problem that whoever thought of this stupid idea didn't take into consideration In that by saying something like this is "unsafe" is that they are implying it is "safe" when it's open. Makes the "use at your own risk" thing kinda not applicable.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm

You can always park upstream at the old parking spot near the trailer park
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Augie on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:36 pm

That's not the point. The trail is closed with no trespassing signs posted. I called the mayors office 621-7979 bburrows@riverdale.state.ut.us.
Let's flood his office with calls and email.
Maybe AW can get involved. Charlie- are you out there?
Augie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:57 pm

Opp open?
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:01 pm

Soo... anybody still floating 89 to RW this evening?
It's, obviously, to protect trail users. The Parker Drive parking lot is flooded and the new underpasses are flooded. They must have blocked the RW parking in haste, not thinking about kayakers.
brianteats

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:03 pm

Brian- still planning on it. We can park upstream. FTP
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Augie on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:17 pm

I spoke with the mayors office who referred me to the Fire Dept. I spoke to the fire chief Doug Illum. Apparently the Fire Dept wants it closed because they said there will be heavy equipment doing trail repair work. I asked him if the trail work would be by the wave and he just told me that the trail was closed and if I was caught down there then I would be given a ticket. He also said that the river was dangerous at this time and I shouldn't be in it. I told him that in the half hour that I sat there that there were at least 6 people who using the trail. I told him that I have a river guide license, Swift water rescue cert, and 35 years of river running experience. I also told him that there are lots worse rivers to run than this. He said"If I catch you down there you will receive a ticket" I am so happy that he knows what is best for me and kept me out of the river- I could have gotten hurt or killed today.

His phone number is 801-394-7481

For those of you who want to float from 89 to RW tonight-do it but take out above or below RW. He can not keep you off the river but he can restrict access.
Augie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:26 pm

Yeah that is pretty stupid. By the way Augie I am sorry for not being there on time. I got tied up on an early morning Eggs run that took way longer than I wanted it to. Maybe we can hook up another time.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Augie on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:28 pm

no problem- we can do it later. Make it up to me by calling this dumbass Doug Illum and emailing the city.
Augie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:32 pm

Oh I will Riverdale is really good right now, and for them to close it is ridiculous.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Augie on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:44 pm

I just sent the following message to the citys general email address. I couldn't find Doug Illums email and the mayors email doesn't work.

"Why are there no tresspassing signs and yellow tape at the kayak park parking lot? Is this to protect me from myself? Perhaps the powers that closed this don't realize that kayakers like high water. Just because you don't have my abilities is not a reason to keep me from enjoying the river. This wave that was built with taxpayers money and now when it gets good we can't use it.
By the way I am not some young punk kid who doesn't respect the law. I am 54 years old,have a river guide license, a swiftwater rescue certification, 38 years of river running experience, 24 years on the ski patrol and have worked at Hill Air Force Base for 33 years as a safety program manager. I own a safety consulting business on the side, teach industrial and construction safety at 2 colleges and certainly understand risk. When I saw the no trespassing signs I did not go past them. However the 2 elderly couples, lone hiker and 1 fisherman that I saw in the half hour that I was there could have all been given a ticket according to your fire chief Doug Illum. I am willing to bet that my experience and abilities far outweigh anyone on the Riverdale Fire Dept but they think I am a risk to myself. Why does anyone think they know what my limitations are? I agree that some people shouldn't be in the river now, but when you open it back up and someone drowns have you implied that it was now safe to enter? Who decides when the river is now safe to enter? What about people who put in above Riverdale and play on the wave?

Last edited by Augie on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Augie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pcdc2 on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 3:38 pm

Jeff Young wrote:Brian- still planning on it. We can park upstream. FTP

I'll still be there!
Pcdc2

Paddling Since : The

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 4:27 pm

Out, heading south for less drama which is against the historical norm. There was a 40' bushy tree in the first slide. Might be stuck in second. Keep an eye out as it went somewhere. Smile
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pcdc2 on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 4:35 pm

Ah damn...was lookin forward to it. Where you thinking Jeff? If its class 3 ish id be in to relocate.
Pcdc2

Paddling Since : The

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 4:46 pm

It's not. Brian is still a go!
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WDippo on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 4:51 pm

I know you are frustrated but... "I am willing to bet that my experience and abilities far outweigh anyone on the Riverdale Fire Dept but they think I am a risk to myself." I assume that you meant in terms of river skills, but I can tell you right now that they are not going to take it that way.
I'm not trying to be a asshole, and I certainly don't agree with closing the play park, but the next time that Doug Illum is asked to make a decision on right to float what decision do you think that he'll make?
Stay Safe,
Wilson
WDippo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 6:10 pm

89 to Riverdale- could just take out above Riverdale Wave, on 4400S.

So if anyone wants to make the point that Riverdale wave itself is still open, I believe you could legally putin for RW at the old putin on 4400S. Could hang out on the far side of the river, river right, although walking in there is probably frowned upon by the railroad.
Could take out past Parker Drive bridge on the right. There is a bit of parking along the road down there; also a little dirt road by the river (muddy tho).

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 6:18 pm

This says: The Weber River Trail is now Open
http://www.riverdalecity.com/

This is the Riverdale Mayors office phone:
Bruce Burrows
Mayor
801-394-5541 ext. 1213

That other number is his home phone.