Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

New to Utah, looking to paddle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New to Utah, looking to paddle

Post by mike03cf on Sat 09 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

New to the area from Portland and looking to meet fellow paddlers and get some info on the Utah paddling scene. Primarily class III-ish, but would be interested in stuff below that as well as I haven't been in my boat much lately (do have a solid roll though). I have a bunch of dumb questions as follows:

I've done some research on EddyFlower and it looks like the Weber and Provo are where it's at (I'm in Salt Lake). Pardon my ignorance, but what are the most popular runs on these rivers? It looks like Henefer-to-Taggart and Mouth-to-Riverdale on the Weber, and the Upper Town Section, Middle Section, and Woodland-to-Jordanelle on the Provo are probably the best bets. Logan looks like it's probably worth the drive as well.

Are the Class II+ to III+ runs in the area generally fun/relatively safe at high water ("Crankin" level), or pretty sketchy?

Next question - play spots to go solo and work on surfing and such? Are the Ogden Kayak Park and/or Howard's Hole worth it at current flows, or just washed out? Is the Evanston play park worth the drive?

Thanks in advance, and if anyone wants to get out on the river this weekend or in the future, let me know!

mike03cf

Paddling Since : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New to Utah, looking to paddle

Post by brianteats on Sat 09 Jul 2011, 3:56 pm

Welcome to Utah!
You got here just in time to take advantage of a good season. What your assuming is pretty much how it is regarding our local rivers. In addition- It's just about crowded-tourist season on the Hen-Tag run, but still fun, and there's always a good crowd with the UWC on Tuesdays. 89-RW(mouth of weber canyon to Riverdale) is still running big, fun, and never crowded. The Provo sections around Woodland are just that, 'wood'land; lots of trees in the flows; the town sections are good, not sure how they are at these high flows; Bridal veil section is a classic, if you have solid class III skills, you'd be fine- with locals to lead you.
OPP(ogden kayak park) is the usual 'skills development area' but it's running a little high for that now; Howards hole is big; and the Evanston play park has some nice features, and can be worth the drive(about an hour), but the features are pretty spread out.
Cheers!
brianteats

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by blaineb on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:37 am

Im not very familiar with the local rivers having done all my paddling on the main Salmon in Idaho, and the snake river canyon in wyoming. So also looking for paddlers and need to learn the local runs. I floated the Hen-Tag a few weeks ago, but thats it for utah water.

I scouted woodland to Jordanelle today, and ya lots of wood.
I'm just coming back to the sport after a long absence, so still a little rusty. ( Still have a decent roll ) don't mind making a drive for a good run, rafted the Murtaugh twice this year wile it was "Crankin" about 4 hours each way but well worth the drive!

I'd be up for a run or 2 most weekend.
blaineb

Paddling Since : 87

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kristie on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 6:12 pm

I am relatively new to kayaking here too, but most of the rivers seem to be either pretty flat (like Hen-Tag or the Upper Provo) or continuous III-IV+ (at least at these levels). There doesn't seem to be anything that's really pool drop like the Upper Clack or MWS. If eddyflower says pool drop, that means there are a few eddies. You should check out the Rainbow Gardens and Pineview sections on the Ogden River and 89 to Riverdale on the Weber. Rainbow Gardens is a super short section but it's fun and you can run shuttle walking or on your bike and lap it...it's basically just one big wave train the whole way down, and you can take out anywhere in that park. The Pineview section is a little more tech. I haven't done 89 to Riverdale, but I heard it's good to go. You might like the Bridal Veil section of the Provo, too (but I think it's terrifying right now and am waiting for it to come back down...ha).

Where in Utah do you live? Cause if it's SLC you might want to check out City Creek and the last few hundred yards of Big Cottonwood...kind of a novelty thing but pretty damn fun...

I am a bartender and work nights, but I am free to paddle just about every day and Tues-Thurs nights...hit me up! 801-910-6948

kristie

Paddling Since : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:43 am

Hi folks-
Try putting in below the Bridalveil crux (@Nuns Park area); for a good III run. Now that the Ogden is pretty much shut off by the dam operators, BV is the best run around. Work up to it! Work on that brace. I suppose you could portage the crux too, although I don't recall a great eddy to get out. The level is dropping, and before you know it, it will be done.
Deer Creek to Vivian Park is the most scenic II around also; right upstream of BV.

89 to Riverdale could be called pool drop (others would say there are lots of flats); 4 main rapids at these flows (5 if you count Riverdale wave area); all are short; it moves along well in the flats at higher flows. If you go with someone who knows the run, I'd say its relatively safe. Don't go left at the Uinta bridge drop (road scoutable), and there is some wood avoidance. Class III boaters who didn't know the run might have a hard time picking the best channel (Woodland is like that too). "Safe" is relative at high water; you need a reliable roll and a good brace; any swim will be longer, and chasing gear is tougher.

Once the Logan is below ~1000, Woodcamp will be more reasonable.
I would not recommend Woodland, or Woodland to Jordanelle at high flows; due to class IV wood avoidance. Upstream, Soapstone has really dangerous wood avoidance. The Uintas Bear, and Red Banks on the Logan, are great III+/IV- runs at high water, but not pool drop, very continuous.

Main Payette is good pool drop, but its 6-7 hours, north of Boise. Then do Cabarton.
Then try Alpine Canyon on the Snake, below Jackson, once the level drops.
SYOTR
Bill

Last edited by wasatchbill on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm

There are a few other options if you are willing to drive a bit.

The Moab Daily is super fun class III at high water (20k +) but flattens out significantly at lower water.

Westwater is good if you can get on a permit. Big class III run with one IV. Class III boaters should do fine at lower flows (~8k or lower) with a good crew.

Split Mtn daily run on the Green River (also a permit run) is good at medium flows also flattens out some at lower water.

Another good option is Marysvale Canyon on the Sevier. Just did that last weekend at 1300 CFS and it was super fun III+ at this level. Still fun down to about 400CFS and rates about III- at lower water.

And I agree with the above statement about the Payette. Long drive but some of the best water around with multiple day run options on the Main, North and South ranging from III to V. Well worth the trip.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brookieb11 on Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

Howard's Hole Response - Was there on Sunday, and got back in it today on my lunch break. Flows have dropped a little in the last few days; and as it continues to drop, it's beginning to look more and more like a low head damn Sad With that said, it's still fine, not too sticky; just not as 'pretty' as it was a few weeks back. Pretty fun for middle of the city. Was solo on it today.

Brookieb11

Paddling Since : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:53 pm

While paddling the Logan yesterday, and enjoying the quality class III rapids on Woodcamp, I noticed that there are decent takeouts above St Annes rapid (which is IV at 1100), which would keep the run at class III.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum