Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Cleaning AF = sisyphean?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cleaning AF = sisyphean?

43% 43% 
[ 3 ]
29% 29% 
[ 2 ]
28% 28% 
[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Cleaning AF = sisyphean?

Post by wasatchbill on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 2:15 am

I looked this up to make sure I was remembering the definition of "sisyphean" correctly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus
Sisyphus
In Greek mythology Sisyphus was a king punished by being compelled to roll a huge boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, and to repeat this throughout eternity...

The word sisyphean means, according to the American Heritage Dictionary, "endless and unavailing, as labor or a task."
===
I remember Daniel A posting that the high spring runoff changed AF alot, stuffing the lower AF "Squiggles" cruxy section with logs, and changing (eliminating??) Goat Boof. But seeing is believing (or seeing is understanding, something like that).
WWOOWW!!!
Squiggles is stuffed with a dozen logs; reminders of high water levels and huge unseen forces. The left side of Goat Boof is a large gravel bar now. It looks like a riverwide log pinned on the center rock, collected more logs into a dam, then the floodwaters piled dump-truck-loads of gravel onto it on the left. Right looks possible, but a tighter landing.

Carnage Corner: the boof landing is now a massive, tight woody dam any beaver would be proud of.

Drive-by scouting all the way up to Tibble Res, my general impression is that a number of large riverwide log jams that I considered permanent, completely blew out. Probably a multi-decade high water event. A hundred (hundreds? of) logs have washed from the upper, down to somewhere in the lower sections; or right on out to the valley for most of the 4 foot sections. The Upper AF section does not look so bad actually. Much of the wood is gone from the upper. "Below Tibble Res" did not look that bad either. Did anyone else paddle this last spring, aside from Scott and me? That has to be a record for amount of wood removal (40 large??), for limited runs (2 total??) before the wood washed in again.

So, cleaning AF: endless? yes. Unavailing (useless, fruitless, futile)? No!!!

Two approaches come to mind: top down, and bottom up.
Top down: There is a new riverwide log jam above Sawmill that would be a good starting point for the top down approach. Downstream from that log jam has relatively little wood for a half mile or so, in fact many riverwide logs are gone in the Upper Middle section as well. Many of the logs I saw today could be hauled out by hand with minimal cutting. There is a really fun-looking cascading series of small drops through here, which hopefully would be in the IV+ range at lower flows (50 to 80?).

Bottom up: work up from the mouth of the canyon. Sooner or later, this will lead to cleaning Squiggles, which would open up the majority of the "Lower AF" run. Sometime after the Ogden race, I'd be up for working on a Sisyphean Squiggles chainsaw carving extravaganza ;-).
WasatchBill

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleaning AF = sisyphean?

Post by afaust on Tue 14 Sep 2010, 8:56 pm

I could probably devote some time to cleaning up AF canyon. I drove up there today with my wife and there is plenty of wood to be removed. Most appears fairly simple, but at least three spots look like fairly hefty time consuming cleanups.

afaust

Paddling Since : 1492

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Sep 2010, 11:54 pm

I'd down to clean up some river - sadly i havnt been in my boat for about a month... I wear the cone of shame
-Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 12:24 am

bill, call me when you come down. climbing/cleaning combo.

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 2:27 am

Climb n clean sounds good!
Lets get on the rock Cap'n Redbeard - Sat? Sun?
A photo is worth a thousand words... its all very cleanable in my book... with a group effort...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=240734&id=626163686&l=4c59e2d8c7
Carnage Corner before the wood moved this spring:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=626163686&v=app_2392950137#!/video/video.php?v=433803768686

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 3:33 pm

What time tomorrow?

afaust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 4:13 pm

We are gonna paddle the Ogden from Pineview down on Saturday, meeting at 1 PM at Rainbow Gardens footbridge over the river.

How about Sunday for an AF cleaning/climbing day? 11ish would be good for me.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 4:20 pm

I won't be able to make it to AF, but I would love to show up to paddle the Ogden if you are willing to show me the lines through the narrows.

afaust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 4:22 pm

Sure, no problem! We can scout and clean some spots first. Could do the lower half to work into it also.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timmay on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 4:56 pm

Do you mind if I join you for at least the Pineview section? I don't think that I am quite ready for the Narrows but would love to paddle the Pineview section again.

Timmay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 5:03 pm

No problem; we can have a takeout car at the Indian trailhead; or a takeout at the Alaskan Inn would make it III- ish ; but still low and a bit rocky.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 5:53 pm

Tim, you would be good to go on the narrows. It is less tchnical and more abusive and constant then Joe's(at current flows). At these flows it is just boulder bouncing. Biggest thing to focus on is making sure you keep your nose straight at the wall drop, but any line will do.

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Sat 18 Sep 2010, 12:19 am

Sadly I just found out my wife already had plans for us in the afternoon tomorrow so I won't be able to make it. I do however plan to show up to support the race next week. I will be on the spanish fork in the morning if anyone is interested.

afaust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timmay on Sat 18 Sep 2010, 10:37 am

Where is the Rainbow Gardens footbridge?

Timmay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Sat 18 Sep 2010, 2:38 pm

Its the newer bike path footbridge over the river, near the Rainbow Gardens restaurant. There is plenty of parking on Ogden Canyon road side.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum