Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

» Provo based paddlers
by pinback8 Wed 08 Mar 2017, 11:21 am

» Weekly Paddling
by pinback8 Tue 14 Feb 2017, 7:40 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Release Schedule for 2017
by charliev Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:51 pm

» Weber River is running
by charliev Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

» Draft Report of the Pacificorp Relicensing of the Scrambled Eggs Diversion on the Weber
by npackham Fri 13 Jan 2017, 6:07 pm

» Ogden River Clean UP
by wolffgramm Wed 12 Oct 2016, 11:07 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 643 registered users
The newest registered user is jporter59

Our users have posted a total of 7788 messages in 1716 subjects

Beginners - canoeing Provo River

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beginners - canoeing Provo River

Post by tholyoak on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

My daughter would like to take a canoe trip down the Provo River for her birthday in a couple of weeks. We do have access to a couple of canoes, but we don't have much experience. My daughters have used canoes on lakes at Girls Camp, and I have done the same thing when I was a Boy Scout (many moons ago). My wife does have some experience, as her family used to go canoeing in rivers when she was growing up. However we have kids ranging in age from 6 to 15.

So I'm looking for information and advice on how to have a fun but safe experience. What part of the river would be best? I've seen people floating down near Utah Lake - if that is a good idea, how far up should we start? Is the water level still higher than normal this year, and how will that affect things?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Trevor

tholyoak

Paddling Since : ??

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Beginners - canoeing Provo River

Post by brianteats on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:51 pm

Yes, the Provo offers a great uber-beginner run directly below Deer Creek reservior. You can put-in at the base of the dam with other folks, most likely doing it at the same time, and take out at the bridges 2.5 miles down, which are the only real obstacle on the entire stretch, or continue down another 2 1/2 miles of friendly water and another descent take out.

Water levels for that stretch right now are good(~500cfs), not high but not exactly low either.

Make sure to wear your pfd's and have fun, there's plenty of paddling option around here, if you know where to look
brianteats

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tholyoak on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:42 pm

Thanks. It turns out that the reason she wanted to go canoeing in the river was that she didn't like having to row around the lake, and thought all she'd have to do is put the canoe in the river and it would do all the work for her. We took her to the aviary instead. Smile

We would still like to go sometime, but would like to take a class or something first. Are there any such classes available?

tholyoak

Paddling Since : ??

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 3:03 pm

I'd say go for it. Its a super easy stretch and only a few class 2- ripples. Swimming isn't a bad thing in that section, as you can stand up in most of it at these flows.

Have fun!

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum