Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Looking for 6th water beta?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Looking for 6th water beta?

Post by unattendedboat on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 6:00 pm

@ stb

would you say that the only classic would be the classic case of altitude sickness from driving up there?
unattendedboat

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoBag on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 6:13 pm

Stew has apparently become one of those east coast snobs. Can't blame him though.
HoBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 6:39 pm

I wonder if Stews attitude comes from finally running "real" waterfalls? No, thinking about it a bit more there aren't any "real" waterfalls on the Potomac.

Back to top Go down

Post by stb on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 6:44 pm

maybe so hobag, but i'll still paddle with you, even on sixth water.

I am not saying that sixth water sucks, just if the op is looking for something where he will be able to paddle, eddy out, or float he'll probably need to go somewhere else. Like c-dub said its a novelty. kinda like a rite of passage for all utards: no one will ever be able one-up (or one-down, in this case) you for lowest amount of water kayaked on.

unattended, i would venture to say that the debauchery during this upcoming Halloween fest will be classic for sure
stb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 6:57 pm

Maybe we could get Hanes Socks to sponsor the event this year. We need comfortable feet doing the class XVI hike.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stb on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 7:07 pm

what makes a waterfall "real" is in the eye of the beholder. I suppose that goes for "a classic" too, eh? c-dub im gonna be in town octoberish, lets do some boating, real or not

Cap, That is a good idea, but I thinks hanes may have to do some research to develop cottony fibers that would hold up to the riguors of miles of washboard driving, while retaining the soft plush feel demanded by today's dapper paddle sports enthusiast.
stb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 7:18 pm

Ill bring that up when I talk to Hanes. Also going to call up Depends to make a kayaking specific underwear so I don't always make a mess every time I kayak the mighty Spanish Fork.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 7:28 pm

Too much drama in this post.

PeruH2o

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by etharris on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 7:29 pm

Thanks for all the help! It has been informative and very entertaining. I was hoping for it to be a reliable run to get my fix on when everything else is to low (which it seems to be just that). There doesn't seem to be alot of local water outside the runoff season, so I could definetly see myself hitting 6th up a bunch. Eventhough some folks are down on it, it sounds too me like a good time. The vids look fun and I am not to concerned about the low water. I am from virginia and often find myself scraping down steep little mountain creeks with very little water. Its all good if your in a boat and having fun. Also, since it is so short, it sounds like a fun one to do laps on.

Cheers

etharris

Paddling Since : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 8:46 pm

stb wrote:

Also, if you are moving to utah and expect sixth water to be your back yard run you will be sorely disappointed. A classic it is not.
This is all I was trying to say in my first post. Man it amazes me some of the stuff that some can say, and others can't. As for "REAL" waterfalls, and me not wanting to run sixth water. I have expressed "BEFORE" Lower Mesa that I would not run Sixth Water again, because the last time I put a huge gauge in my boat. To me the drive, and hike no matter how easy or hard is not worth the pay off. Sixth Water is a novelty, but not something I want to run over, and over. As for real waterfalls who the hell knows. Sixth Water is kinda like a water slide, but so is Yule Creek, and many others. Although Sixth Water hardly reaches the ranks of runs such as that. The fact is you would not move to a state because of Sixth Water or a run like it, and that is what I thought the guy was asking. Most of you were talking it up to the point I felt that he may be disappointed when he ran it. I countered that with my post, and got reamed for it. As for why I boat, hang around me more before you pass judgement, because in the end I don't do it for anyone, but myself. You may take everything I say out of context, act as if I have a big head for running one drop in Idaho, and make fun of me for having Grip Socks sponsor me, but that is not what boating is about. I try to be polite on the river, and in person, but when post like this go on forever it is a little childish. Best of wishes SYOTR
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:24 pm

Blah da blah da blah...It's not a run, and no one here is calling it that. It is a novelty and a freak of nature and a damn good excuse for a party. As to Yule, I haven't seen your footage yet. Please post it ASAP thanks, I'd love to see it! Not really the backyard run this post was looking for, but still within the half day drive range.

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:51 pm

OP.... don't worry most of us look like pricks online, but on the water we all seem to get along pretty well. Look forward to paddling with you in the spring. Very Happy

afaust

Paddling Since : 1492

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:44 pm

Hey FSM, enjoyed our talk today and expect we'll boat together sometime in the future.

Per your request, I was able to find this post. http://www.eddyflower.com/Forum.aspx?ForumId=2&postid=25118#25118

As far as the racial slurs, I don't even know where to look(I might have implied the religious ones in my memory as racial, sorry). I also could not find the "you all(pretty much entire UT whitewater community) are puss's because you aren't running mesa in a blizzard in sub zero weather" thread.
I don't care for excuses and back peddling explanations. Don't care for what you meant versus what you said or did. Actions definitely speak louder than words. If you paddle for yourself, stop trying to spotlight yourself, and stop caring what others think(then you won't get dumped on).

God bless you Daniel.

Back to top Go down

Post by kos on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 1:22 am

@ETHARRIS, pJoe and I ran 6th Water from the spillway to Diamond Fork Campground (some 5 years ago). The flow was 99 and today's, short, typical section was a juicy, blast. I'd love to catch that flow again - but I haven't noticed it happen in last few Spring seasons. Below today's typical run, about another 0.25 miles down-creek, is another 6' drop. Fun for the hell of it. Of course, it is a further walk out, but the extended run reduces the gradient. Below all this is "Celestial Gorge" and "...Green Jello Surprise" drop, which was no more significant than the upper drops. All in all, it was a long, fun, day on the water without a road around. I hope for 99 in 2011!

@FSM, You have some interesting points. Please, tell us more...

It's okay to "waste another post".
kos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 2:59 am

kos, that sounds epic, I would like to do that one! Did you portage that huge boulder sieve above the 5th water confluence?

Letssee, we were talking about 6th water, or trying to boat around here in September, weren't we? I was going to extol the virtues of the Ogden Narrows at the lowly flow of 153; fun enough to do repeatedly actually... but today it was down to 134. Good eddy hopping fun still; but a higher bump-to-paddle ratio, at 134, I must admit. OK, maybe not worth driving from Provo, but if you're up this way, I'd do it again.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kos on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 9:37 am

@WasatchBill - You bet! There was a huge jumble of logs at the 5th water confluence that required a portage. I haven't been there in years, but can't imagine that'll ever flush out on its own. Lets keep an eye on the gauge this Spring. 66 cfs, which seemed to happen more often back then, makes the top a lot more fun. If it gets up to 99, lets rally for the Gorge too!
kos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoBag on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 10:43 pm

The current woman's world record waterfall holder recently said, and I quote "yay, I love 6 water."

On the 16 I may only run the creek once. It'll be more of a social thing. And we don't need to start rationing posts yet, somebody paid $23.
HoBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 10:56 pm

Wow, this is some funny shit!!! I am hoping I can make it to Huckfest. Hell I can't even boat for a while, but being in the company that will be there, being in the beautiful mountains, and probably having the best costume will make it all worth while!!!

Sixth water is sixth water...if you haven't been you should! If you've been before you will at one point in time go back.

Sixth water tends to create lasting memories, like most rivers... my first 6th water trip was with Johnnie A and the infamous Ed Clark.... I couldn't lose enough weight on the ride up the road in JA's subaru and the damn thing was ruined....at the top, I taped an empty beer can to my head, put in a few smoke bombs and went over the lip...classic 6th water

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newty on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 11:59 pm

That was my first trip to 6th as well I was scared out of my mind and we were stuffing smoke bombs in your can. That was probably the first and last time I ever saw you Alan. Johnnie called, I said i'm in, then I got out my utah flyfishing guidebook to look at pics of it. My son Noah was about 3 months old and Tiff strapped him on her chest and took some pics as well as that guy who set up the tyrolean traverse across the river so he could take pics from above us. I have a pic of him but I never saw the pics he took.
Newty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Clark on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 5:42 am

Thats right Newty, I think you were driving with Ed and Andy.....its been a while!!

If all goes well opening weekend of the Elk hunt on the 9th I'll be there...

Alan Clark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 11:55 am

HoBag wrote:On the 16 I may only run the creek once. It'll be more of a social thing. And we don't need to start rationing posts yet, somebody paid $23.

Unlimited post for all; domain name, gallery, ad-free is where the donations go. That reminds me, thanks all who have donated so far.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum