Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

It finally happened...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It finally happened...

Post by brianteats on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:20 pm

Ogden's boating season has officially come to an end- The mighty Weeb finally bit the dust yesterday(I was at OPP watching the level drop as I played) and the Ogden's been shut off since last month. It's been a great 8 months of boating; So this is my yearly shout-out to all I've shared the river with and hope to have another great season next year.

See you at the pools!

(I see the Logan and Provo Rivers still have water... you guys need a playpark:D )
brianteats

Paddling Since : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: It finally happened...

Post by Jeff Young on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:22 pm

How was OPP at the low flow? Even Hentag is dead...
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

shoot, I was just gonna head over there! May still have a look. I've lost a toaster mitt and a glove on the Weeb recently, just in case they turn up.

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brianteats on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:46 pm

OPP's still fun, for the most part. First drop feels more like it's taking you for a ride than you riding it. Second drop's mostly unchanged but that vegetation needs trimmed river-right eddy. Third drop is what it always is.
brianteats

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:13 pm

Anyone want to hit it today?
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:22 pm

sure! what time?

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

Hows about 330, I'll text ya
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 6:54 pm

brianteats wrote:

(I see the Logan and Provo Rivers still have water... you guys need a playpark:D )

Working on it. Most likely sometime in the next 3-5 years. Already had a firm come out and take a look at a few sites that have water about 10+ months out of the year. As long as I don't get hired outside of Provo this April I will continue to work on it till it happens or we are so thoroughly shut down that it can't happen.

afaust

Paddling Since : 1492

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Young on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:07 am

If you need support from the UWC, count on it.
Jeff Young

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:08 am

Thanks Jeff Smile Can't do much with it till after April for personal reasons, but I have been networking with some key members of the community and I think things will pan out well in the future. I will keep UWC leadership in the loop. We will need all the help we can get.

afaust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n RedBeard on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

Would the BYU kayak club help out on this? BYU seems to have a huge word in what happens in Provo.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark B. on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:11 pm

Yes BYU has a big local influence, but the BYU admin is not very supportive of the kayaking club. We aren't even allowed access to the University pool. It seems to me that the University will bend over backwards to help students get published in academic journals and support anything that brings prestige and honor to the school, but us student kayakers are viewed as a fringe extracurricular group that is a liability nightmare. Not to say we're not appreciative of the support we do get, but I just don't see the University getting behind us on this one.
Mark B.

Paddling Since : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wasatchbill on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 5:04 pm

hj guys-
Sounds like an image makeover is needed :-). River playparks have been very popular in many cities, with rather large investments being made by many cities. I have an April/May issue of Paddler, with the lead article:
9 Steps to a Whitewater Park.
Would you guys like a copy? If so, PM me with your mailing address.

The other thing that comes to mind is that this is a publicly viewable forum. Keeping a positive attitude can help a great deal. Its possible to edit previous posts; look for the "Edit" button (this is a key feature of this forum, which is not so easy on some other forums like the buzz). Some sentiments may be best expressed in a PM (private message).
Cheers
Bill

wasatchbill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by afaust on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:03 pm

Mark B. wrote: student kayakers are ... a fringe extracurricular group that is a liability nightmare.

There is some truth to this unfortunately.

On another note, getting support from BYU for a WW park may need to come from a different avenue than just making a park for a small fringe demographic. In other words, demonstrating the economic, environmental and recreational benefits of a park to the right people.

At the moment we are exploring the possibility of working with a professor and some students in the Civil engineering department and possibly turning this into a senior or graduate level project. BYU often puts considerable support behind their engineering program and the various projects they undertake. If we can get the right people as partners on this we may be able to get a lot of support from BYU's engineering school including help with funding, permits, the feasibility study, political support as well as design and construction assistance.

Ultimately, I believe we will probably need to work with one of the professional engineering firms that have experience with this before it will actually get built. Even if only to get the feasibility report completed. With that in mind looking into all of our options is still a worthwhile effort.

I think it would be cool to end up with something like this...

http://www.reno.gov/index.aspx?page=311

afaust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum