Utah Rivers
Welcome and thanks for stopping by Utah Rivers.

A free place where Utah whitewater lovers can talk about rivers, meet new people, plan trips, etc...

If you haven't made an account, please do, as it will give you good karma. Help build the lively discussions Smile

By joining you will get....
- No Ads!
- Able to post to any board. Guest are only able to post to "Woah!!!" and "Lost and Found"
- Benefit of helping Utah's boating community grow.
- Great karma.
- Its free!
Latest topics
» Price Woodside to Swasey's
by Beth Blattenberger Thu 11 May 2017, 1:02 pm

» spanish fork
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» abc?
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:28 pm

» provo river
by cult Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

» Ocoee Whitewater Canoe For Sale
by andyhoffmann Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

» Bear River Black Canyon Unscheduled Flows...
by charliev Wed 29 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

» Bear River Black Canyon Extra Big Flows!
by charliev Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

» Jackson Fun
by eweiseth Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:53 am

Flows
AW Utah River Runs Crystal Wave Eddy Flower CUWCD (Provo River) Joe's Valley Price (predicted) WKCC (Mobile Devices) River Forecast Center Murtaugh Evanston Playpark USGS
Statistics
We have 651 registered users
The newest registered user is stallgie

Our users have posted a total of 7794 messages in 1721 subjects

Murtaugh this Sunday (Nov 27th)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Murtaugh this Sunday (Nov 27th)

Post by Wil on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

Just seeing if there is any interest in running the Murtaugh on Sunday. Calling for highs in the low to mid 50s for Twin Falls, ID and the mighty Snake river is still running strong at 6000. Let me know if you are interested. Might have a seat or two open for the ride up from Park City / SLC too.

And there are no excuses right now, because the snow is not good yet.

Wil

Paddling Since : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Murtaugh this Sunday (Nov 27th)

Post by Duckins on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:02 pm

Murtaugh on Sunday just might work out. Did it in Oct at 6000 and it was a blast. I think the Utah County crew we paddled with last time is in the Grand Canyon. Might be worth posting on Mountainbuzz too, to see if some Idahoans are headed that way as well and could help with shuttle.

I've had some family issues pop up (new 5 day old kid) but things are good and I just might be able to pull this one off. I'll keep you posted.

Duckins

Paddling Since : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:55 pm

I just got off the Murtaugh today. I was a great flow, but make sure you bring really good gloves, pogies, or toaster mitts. I had some bad NRS gloves, and my fingers felt like they were frozen for a lot of the time. I plan to start getting up there a good bit, so I may try to jump on that trip.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Paddling Since : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig.Bilderback on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:39 am

Wait....this is your first weekend since your kid was born and your trying to hook up a paddling trip? Your wife might disagree, but it sounds like priorities are straight to me. Haaaa

Craig.Bilderback

Paddling Since : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:37 am

I'd love to go. Just two things... I need to get back not too late, and, I don't have a warm sea hood. I have a spring one, but not a winter one. If someone has an extra river hood (full neck) I can borrow, and we can leave early (put in by 10:30-11am), I'd be fully down. With early sunset, it's gonna get cold early, and... we also need a shuttle. Has anyone posted anything on mountain buzz or the milner mile face book page yet? I will first thing in morn... I'm beat and off to my warm bed santa

Dave

Paddling Since : 09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:48 am

First off, Happy Turkey Day to all.

Yeah, I saw the 5 day old comment too, damn you got some stones son. But I guess I did do a Westwater trip when my second kid was 10 days old, but it was our second, we already had the process down.

Anyway, so when are people going to know if they are go or no go? I like Dave's idea of an earlier put-on, as I'm sure the sun goes away pretty early up that North and in the canyon. I can only do Sunday, and it's still predicting to be 10 degrees warmer on Sunday than Saturday, and 10 degrees is important. How about leaving from SLC at 6:30 AM on Sunday morning. That should have us on the water by 10:30, off by 2:30, and back home warm and fuzzy by 6:30 PM. Let's do this.

FSM, when you did Murtaugh yesterday, what kind of temps (water and air) did you experience? I have the NRS Mamba poges, so I'm hoping those will keep the hands nice and toasty.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh R. on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

I am interested in going and live in Heber. Let me know details. Anybody thinking of driving up the night before. Are you planning on taking one rig and using the taxi service? If not, how many people are going and want to carpool? Let me know.

Josh
Feel free to give me a ring as well
610-597-0861

Josh R.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

Temps were in the mid to high 40's. I did not were a hood, but I wore my Sweet full face which is pretty warm. The coldest things were my hands. Here is an idea I got from mountain buzz, and I strongly suggest it on the Murtaugh. Take a ziploc bag, and put a few sticks of fire starter, and a few boxes of matches. Then pack that was several power bars in your PFD. This way if you are separated from your boat you can build a fire, and wait it out. Also if you get to cold for some reason you can warm up. I did not have to use the stuff I had, but it sure was nice to know that I had it just in case.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig.Bilderback on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

I'm out... I kept making up that you were going Saturday. I can't miss another day of work right now. Have fun and stay warm fellas. Highly recommend a fire starter on your person. Winter freestyle rides on the Black in NY were 30-45 second rides spaced out by 10 minute warm ups next to a bon-fire. Crucial if somebody takes a cold swim.

Craig.Bilderback

Paddling Since : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 6:05 pm

It sounds like my spring cap should be fine, so... I'm down. Who else is? If you Josh and FSM are, ...then that's 6. Too many for one car, great for two.

So next thought... Wil, do you have room for josh and FSM? Because, I can take them once you reach Tremonton, then, our shuttle is covered! If not, I can still take them... if they can get up here.

Anyway, hope y'all come.

Also, I posted a thread on MountainBuzz about it, and will let ya know what
comes of it, but for now... Happy Ham Day pig (no emoticon for turkey) Smile

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 6:40 pm

I have room for two more seat wise, and another if someone wants to ride in the back (Rav4). Will have a big trailer, so gear and boats will go back on it. I think Tim (Duckins) was still interested, but haven't heard anything confirming that. If he does, we'll definitely need a 2nd car. Do you have any way to contact Ted or Neal? I'm sure Neal is still short on his 100 goal, so hopefully he would be down to go.

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duckins on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:30 pm

Thwarted...

No need to plan cars around me. Sounds like family friends are coming by on Sunday to visit the new one. I think it will look better if dad is around, and it will help earn points for the Spring.

Hope you guys have a great trip!

Duckins

Paddling Since : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:37 pm

Yeah, I'll holler at Neil and Ted and see how they feel. So far, it looks like just you, your two guests, and I.... we need at least 1, preferably 2-3 others to make it worth 2 cars. And if we only take one, we'll need the number for that shuttle guy. Anyone who knows his number would be appreciated if they'd jot it down, for us. Thanks.
And... if we use him... it's gotta be in the morning... I can't sit and wait in my cold gear at the take out for an hour if he's running late. We know when we'll get there, so we'll just be on time, and be done with it.

Anyway, I'll see what I can find out. Cool

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh R. on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:57 am

You actually just use a twin falls cab driver. That is what we have done in the past. So what time are you guys leaving and from where? Christian Polar said he could be interested as well. Feel free to give me a ring to work out logistics. 610-597-0861.

Josh

Josh R.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:33 am

I'm kind of hoping not to have to bring my trailer, and would like to just strap the cat frame and my kayak to my roof, and whatever other kayaks to the frame. The cat tubes will be in the back, so there won't be much room for any gear, so it will have to fit into your boat. I have two spots open since Tim is a smart man and investing in tomorrow, and Craig is afraid that coughs and a serious case of the Sundays isn't an admissible reason to miss work.

So Josh how serious are you about doing this? I live in Trailside, so an easy place for us to meet. We would leave at 6 AM sharp. How many times have you done the Murtaugh?

FSM are you in or out?

Dave were you able to get hold of Ted or Neil?

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 11:37 am

I am still working some thing out Ted just had surgery, but Neil or Judd Spencer may be down for a run. I will contact them. I will let you know soon if I am in or out.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeruH2o on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

I am in.

I live in SLC.

PeruH2o

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh R. on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 3:23 pm

Wil,
I am serious about going. I have paddled it a few times ranging from 20,000 and 1,500 cfs. I ran it at this flow about 2 months ago. Do you have room on your rig for a Dagger green boat. It is about 12 ft long. If not, I can always make arrangements to paddle something else.
It is much easier for me to communicate by phone so give me a ring at 610-597-0861 and we can work out the details.
Josh

Josh R.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

Josh,
I'll give you a call later tonight.

PeruH20,
Let's see what FSM decides, if he can't make it, you probably could ride up with me, or you and Dave could carpool from Logan.

W

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 6:49 pm

Just heard from Neil, and he said winds have been blowin up there pretty good the last few days, so he's out. And he's got a point... I don't really feel like spending my sunday getting blown upstream.

I'm not pussing out just yet, but... my back has started acting up this week. So, unless both the wind and my back can chill out a bit, I might be out.

For the record, I just bought a Gravity Inversion Board this morning for my back, and am about to assemble it now, so we'll see if those things are any good after all.

Anyway, still hoping to go. But if I can't, Christian knows the river real good (better than I), so you'll be in good hands with him, plus he's one really chill boater-dude Cool .

I'll check back in a few.

-D

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wil on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:11 pm

Sorry to say, but we're out, as the three of us are all sick and not getting better. I just got back from the Emergicare, with a diagnosis of bronchitis and a Z-pack script. I really want to do the Murtaugh again, but have had the gunk for a week now, and an all day trip would be rough. Maybe we can do it in a week or two if the water stays high and we get some nice weather.

Sorry again, as I am definitely bummed - Wil

Wil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:25 pm

Weird, I came down with something last night too. Thought no one would believe me because my other concerns, but held off to see how I felt this morning, and... not the worst, but probably not good enough to be outside - cold and wet for 5 hours.

Anyway, to all involved... FSM, Josh, Christian, Wil, sorry, we'll try again soon!

-Dave

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

UPDATE: If some of you still want to go... it looks like the winds have calmed down AND... Neil (from Twin Falls) said he's in. So, if you (FSM, Josh, and Christian (peru)) still want to go, you've got... a full car and shuttle right there. ALSO... my back is feeling a bit better, and the hot bath I just took helped my funk a bit... so, I'll see how I feel in a few hours, and keep you posted.

Feel free to holler at me 435 232 5383

-D

Last edited by Dave on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 2:31 pm

Still deciding. I have some things to take care of if I finish them in the next little while I am in.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 6:39 pm

I am in.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

View user profile

Back to top Go down